• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BabyMagic's 'name-yet-to-be-announced' birth story 17 April

BabyMagic

Reaction score
This is a birth story of our gorgeous little princess.

My waters broke just after midnight on Tuesday 16 April. I called the birth centre and they said to try to get rest and go for a check in the morning. My contractions started straight away but were manageable for quite a few hours. I wasn't however able to sleep but listened to my hypnobirthing and meditative CDs and breathed through the contractions. I had assumed that contractions would first come every 15 - 30 minutes but mine were coming every 4 -5 minutes from the start. They only lasted for 20 - 40 seconds though so I knew there weren't serious yet.

As I wasn't able to sleep we decided to go for a check up fairly early in the morning (it was a gorgeous crispy morning to walk - btw I don't really know exact times for anything as I was determined not to look at the clock). When I arrived at the birth centre they didn't first believe that I my waters had gone and that I had actually been having contractions as I was apparently far too up beat and calm. When they examined me they did confirm though that my waters were gone and that I was 1 cm dilated, which I had expected as I knew that I was copying far too well.

I went back home and the contractions started to get more intense. I still listened to the birthing and meditative CDs but I found it a little harder to concentrate. I wasn't able to lie down on the bed anymore even though I did a 20/20 breathing as per what hypnobirthing teaches. At this stage I found leaning and swaying against the birthing ball the most appropriate (I have bruises on my knees to prove this - even though I had a pillow on the floor) :rotfl:

After a while this wasn't helping either so I went to a shower where I must have stayed for the next 2 - 3 hours! At this stage the contractions were becoming so intense that I was struggling to keep myself as calm as before and I started to moan. I went completely to myself and asked to be left alone (however encouraging my OH and mum were). I became very restless and knew it was time to go to hospital. The problem was that when I tried to leave the shower the contractions kicked in ten times harder and I would have rather stayed in the shower!!!! :rotfl:

We ordered a taxi but they never showed up (at least not on time). By this stage it was a mission even to get me dressed (I was puking on the floor :puke: ) so my OH called me an ambulance. They got in within minutes and were first a little annoyed that I had called them when I clearly could have travelled on my own and said that I still had a long way to go (if only they had known!). They started timing my contractions (I hadn't been religiously doing that either) and they were 2 minutes apart! :shock: I wasn't able to sit or lie down and they held a mouth piece against my mouth as they said it was dangerous to be walking around when they were driving. I took a few breaths and instantly felt sick and realised that they had just given me gas and air. I said I didn't want any more. Luckily the birth centre (in a hospital) is very near where I live so we got there in no time!

I had always dreaded of getting into a lift in labour but I just didn't care -by this time I was moaning (I did try to keep it down a little as there was a little girl in there who had a horrified face :shock: ).

The midwives were waiting for me as I had requested for a water birth (and thank God the pool was free I have no idea how I could have survived otherwise :cheer: ). They started running the pool and tried to examine but I wasn't happy bunnie at this stage but was begging to get to the pool. They agreed even though there was only tiny bit of water in the pool but they started showering my back.

From what they had managed to examine me they said that I was 7 or perhaps a little more dilated.

When the water levels got higher I finally managed to relax a little between contractions. It was just an utter bliss to be in the pool. What must have happened (as my midwife said afterwards) is that once in the water I relaxed so much that I dilated fully in a very short period of time. Without a warning I got an intense urge push, and that's when the midwife panicked a little (they are supposed to have two midwives when the baby is delivered in the pool). They pressed the emergency button but as it happened my mum ended up taking the role of the second midwife. Before I knew it the baby was out and in my hands. I was apparently in the pool for around 20 minutes (?) and my pushing time was put down as two minutes!

I had no tears (must be down to water or the perineral massage and pelvic floor exercises?) and got out of the water to deliver placenta.

I was keen to get out after six hours, but they didn't allow that as the baby had passed some meconium so they kept us in for 24 hours.

I feel that I was very lucky having had my experience, and would do it again anytime (perhaps a little wait would be nice).

Here is a picture of our gorgeous little princess.

29FirstCuddle.jpg

Awww-that's al ovely birth story hun.
what a quick labour...you did really well!!! :clap:

Your Lo is georgeous...I hope you think of a name for her soon.xxx :hug:

Thank you for sharing your birth story :hug:
Congratulations :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
Your Princess is beautiful :D

What a fantastic birth story! I hope I find the pool as effective.
Your little girl is beautiful! :D

Aww she's lovely congratulations, sounds like you coped very well with the pain.

Great story! Congratulations on the virth of your beautiful baby too!

Wow what an amazing story, defs makes me feel alot better about doing htings more naturally, well done on your lovely little girl ! :hug:

Eveadel - she was 2.9 kilos which is interesting as in my 20 week scan I was told that she is huuuuuuge (above 95 centile).

Thank you everyone for your comments.

aww she's lovely! congratulations to u (and ur mum!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back