Baby food alternatives

Esoames

Reaction score
Following on from the ready brek post, what else do you substitute instead of buying baby food

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/catalog/sectionpagecontainer.jsp?departmentid=1214921923813
Own brand wheat bisks are the same as the sunny start ones these are only £1
http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/catalog/sectionpagecontainer.jsp?departmentid=1214921923813
asda fruit pouches are 4 for £1.50

Isla also loves asda carrot and potato mini waffles. They are only the size of a 3cm square.
She also enjoys fish fingers, potato croquettes, tinned fruit, cherrios, cheese triangles (laughing cow had the lowest salt amount). I try and look at things in a new light and if Isla would enjoy eating it.

Emma x

Last edited:
I got some vegetable fingers (like fish fingers But with veg) very low salt content and she loved them!

Oooh I always forget about them!

---
-

Ooh they sound good ZMD, I'll have to look for them!

I buy tinned peaches and pineapple and mush them up to make my own fruit pots and make up 'vegetable pots' too with courgettes, carrots and potato.

Does anyone know brands other than Little Stars that do a good baby yoghurt? I automatically buy Little Stars but not sure why really :lol:

I just give Isla the own brand baby yogurt. Think it's great stuff for Asda. She also enjoys grownup yogurts as she always takes a lick from my spoon lol.

Don't know if this is quite what you wanted, but I buy the asda fish pie mix of fresh fish (it has little peices/ cubes of raw white cod, smoked yellow haddock and salmon). I froze them on a tray to keep them from sticking to each other and then once frozen popped into a freezer bag. I can get a peice out the night before and then just cook in 1 min ish in splash of milk (covered in peirced clingfilm) in microwave, and mash for fresh fish lunch.:lol:

I have all the veg , and rice or potato - frozen too - precooked to go with it

Attachments

• Fish peices.jpg
    Fish peices.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
That's a great idea! I have snacks and nibbles frozen, along with a few pots of homemade stuff. Emma x

---
-

I make my own fruit pots too - peel and chop an apple, pear whatever, pop it in the microwave for a couple of mins to stew and soften it up, puree with chopped strawberries and add some dry baby rice to thicken it up. I also add some chopped strawberries for texture but can go without. I usually make 2 or 3 in one go and pop unused pots in fridge or freezer for later. it only takes 5 mins to do. I tend to give eva mini versions of what we eat or just give her leftovers (how terrible does that sound lol!) If our meal was salt free and homemade.

Last edited:
I made my own rice pudding today in the slow cooker for the boys and they loved it :yay:

i get LO petit filour natural yoghurt pots and then mix my own pureed fruit in to it. x

I made my own rice pudding today in the slow cooker for the boys and they loved it :yay:

Oh have you a a recipe hun :)

I buy huge pots of greek yogurt and mix ellas kitchen fruit in :)

I just used the Annabel Karmel one but fired it all in the slow cooker. Firstly coat the slow cooker in butter or else it will all stick (I forgot to do this the first time and what a disgusting mess :shakehead:) 50g of pudding rice, 600 ml of blue milk, 2 tbsp of sugar and a couple of drops of vanilla essence.

I doubled up the ingredients and have frozen some it, I have also used slightly less milk as it was ever so slightly sloppy so maybe drop it to 550 and see how that goes.

Chuck it all in and leave it on low for about 5 hours. Honestly your house will smell delicious :)

I just used the Annabel Karmel one but fired it all in the slow cooker. Firstly coat the slow cooker in butter or else it will all stick (I forgot to do this the first time and what a disgusting mess :shakehead:) 50g of pudding rice, 600 ml of blue milk, 2 tbsp of sugar and a couple of drops of vanilla essence.

I doubled up the ingredients and have frozen some it, I have also used slightly less milk as it was ever so slightly sloppy so maybe drop it to 550 and see how that goes.

Chuck it all in and leave it on low for about 5 hours. Honestly your house will smell delicious :)

Oooh thanks lots Snappykat, I'm going to try this tomorow as I brought the pudding rice ready to try a few mths back , but I hadn't got a recipe, so it went on hold! I will let you know how it goes

I've just discovered home made rice pudding and the recipe couldn't be easier - just 100g pudding rice, 50g sugar, 700ml milk and in the oven with a bit butter on top. Lush!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back