Argh, Virgin Broadband!

LisaJ1986

Reaction score
Last night while online my connection was ridiculously slow. I couldn't open a page properly. Drove me mad so i turned pc off in the end!
OH rang them today. Apparently they've 'capped' it! We can use it in the day, but between 4pm and midnight we have it on dial-up speed!!! Apparently due to this downloads thing they're doing! We don't even download stuff! For a start i don't know how :rotfl: and my OH is addicted to his stupid World of Warcraft game!!!
They've basically told him for 2 weeks we have to put up with this and if he wants to use internet he's to do it in the day, when he works!!!
So now we're looking for a new broadband company to go through! They just assume we download therefore we're being punished!
So i'm mad now!
Sorry for rant. If anyone else is on Virgin, beware!

It's really stupid lol, and very unfair :? Surely if you pay for the Download speed you should be able to have it at all times!

I'm afraid to say though it will be because of your OH's Wow habit lol, those patches are big!

We are on BT and have never had this problem, both me and my OH have played WOW at times, whereas my mum had the same problem as you and just my brother plays it in her house!

I have been on the phone to virgin all day!!!!!!!!!!!! my tv isnt working :( :(
the soonest they can come out is tomorrow between 12 and 4 :evil: :evil: :evil:
im not a happy bunny now me and dh will actually have to talk to each other 2nite!! :rotfl:

Virgin are wank, they kepy cutting us off a week before the direct debit was due to go out :? :wall: So we changed to BT

Ahh, so it'll be that stupid game then??? Wish he'd find summat else to play on! We pay for 8mb, but don't think we use that much!

LisaJ1986 said:
Ahh, so it'll be that stupid game then??? Wish he'd find summat else to play on! We pay for 8mb, but don't think we use that much!

Lol probaly :wall: I banned my boyfriend from it now ... even better we sold his PC so now he has a laptop that can't play it! I think he actually loved that game more than me at one point!! :evil:

Do NOT get me started on Virgin!! :shakehead:

I spent 11 months...count em, ELEVEN, with an ongoing complaint to them before it was resolved!!!

Took 12 calls to get the pin code for my voicemail
Switch banks for DD, they wrote and confirmed they had the new info, but still took it from the old account
Took a DD 5 days early, charged me and cut me off
Took 2 more DDs after I had cancelled it, AND cancelled it at the bank! (got that charge back from the bank too!)

I could go on, but yes, they are w**k! :talkhand:

x...Kirsty...x said:
LisaJ1986 said:

Lol probaly :wall: I banned my boyfriend from it now ... even better we sold his PC so now he has a laptop that can't play it! I think he actually loved that game more than me at one point!! :evil:

I say exactly the same. If i need help then i have to wait as he's saving the world!

Any suggestions as to where we should move to? I'm rubbish at all this but any recommendations would be good. Except Tiscali, as in this area is rubbish and most people round here have a problem, dunno why.

Is it something to do with the fibre optic cables they are fitting?? Don;t know if they've started doing it yet.

I dont know why they have done that ours is fine i use xbox live at night while jools is on here ??
Never had any problems with virgin :think:
Are you on cable or over a phone line ???

I don't know :oops: . Phone line i think. I just can't believe they've capped it to peak times! I'm doing ok on here at the mo but by about 7pm it'll be impossible to load a page.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr that would really p*&s me off i hate the internet going down
They soulldnt be able to do that as you have agreed to a speed they should maintain that speed
I would get on to them again :twisted: :twisted:

Hes told them if it aint sorted by the weekend then we'll be doing business elsewhere! We are anyway but until that day we should at least have our normal broadband back! It's not fair on my OH that the only time he can use it is in the evening, and then it won't load. It took us 10-15mins to load a page last night! They basically told him to use it in the day, when he works! Grrr. He apparently went so mad at them! He likes to make the people on the end speechless! He got passed around 4 people today!

My mum and dad were just about to change from AOL and go to Virgin, ive just read thsi and advised them not to now.
I'm with BT ( one of them hub thingys) and i really can't grumble at all, never had a problem yet and usually if they are going to be slow for a few hours someone will call me and let me know. ( but thats only happened twice )

We're starting to go slow now! He's gonna go mad when he gets home! It's gonna end up being impossible for him to check his emails. Fortunately i have some ironing to do! But i'll get withdrawals from this site! Lol

It is because of the Fair Usage Policy which all companies that offer 'unlimited' broadband have in their small print. Even though they say you can use as much of their broadband as you like, apparently it is then unfair if you go over whatever download limit they have set and they will restrict your speed :roll: Games like WOW are online so all the time they are being played you are downloading data just as you are when browsing the net. TBH I see the cheap unlimited deals as a complete rip off and only worth it if you have light to medium internet usage which are predominantly browser based. Most of these big name companies will also block ports so that if you do try and download large files they will strangle the speed at which you can do this especially during peak times.

I currently use fast.co.uk as my internet service provider. They do not have unlimited packages and are expensive compared to the Sky/BT/Talk Talk deals however their customer support is second to none and they do not block traffic or strangle ports. I changed to them from Tiscali who not only said I was in violation of their Fair Usage Policy but also were unable to enable me to play games online or stay connected to any IRC chats.

I would check out this site which gives an independent review of different ISPs. I think in order to choose the best deal for you, you really need to look at your own personal internet usage (heavy, medium or light) and choose the company that would work best for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back