Anyone else BETTER off on Maternity Leave??

purpleisa

Reaction score
Hi all

Just been doing some sums!! It would appear that during my Maternity Leave I will get 6 weeks @ 90% of my pay and then Statutory Maternity Pay @ £124.88 per week. I work part time and pay a childminder to look after DD for 3 days. So I get paid around £30 per week less - however as I will be off I won't be paying childminder £81 per week - therefore should be £50 better off (and thats not including the cost of my travel to work!) - is this right or is there something I have not thought of ... like Tax Credits (I only get £10 per week at the mo) going down or something??

BTW in case u were wondering - yes I know I will have two to be cared for once I go back but luckily I don't go back until DD starts school next August - that's why I waited :0)

Also know that if I am £50 a week better off I will have no trouble spending that on bubba. Lol

sounds about right hun,

would u b able to claim any more working tax / child tax credits cos u have 2??

xxx

I was at first when I left work before I had Sam because I wasn't paying hundreds of pounds a month to commute to London. Now I'm not even getting maternity pay I'd be something like £28 a month better off if I was still doing my own job after train fares and childcare so I'm far better off running my own business and working far less than I was before :)

I think you should get the new baby element of child tax credits for the first 12 months so you should be even more better off.

I'm certainly not better off, I'm going from a 42k salary to SMP very soon :(

I'm better off as i only work part time because of lacey anyway so only earn around £120 a week anyway!!

Thanks everyone

So it would seem those part-time or low income could be better off if they stop paying childcare for a previous child while off work. The rest will be worse.

Phinners - oouch! It will be sooo worth it when u meet your bubba though x

Just another thought on Tax Credits - although payment will go up because claiming baby element for second child I could be entitled to less for first as not paying childcare... Will look into this although it may balance itself out and since I only get about an tenner a week just now seems pretty irrelevant and god knows what Bleeding Ant and Dec (what I call Cameron and Clegg!) are going to do this system next!! :0))

I was at first when I left work before I had Sam because I wasn't paying hundreds of pounds a month to commute to London. Now I'm not even getting maternity pay I'd be something like £28 a month better off if I was still doing my own job after train fares and childcare so I'm far better off running my own business and working far less than I was before :)

What's your business?
Jo xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back