Any fishy people here?

poochielove

Reaction score
My OH decided he wants fish :roll: he gets these ideas and then thats it. I know ill end up cleaning them out (secretly i dont mind as i think they look pretty) anyhow i want tropical fish (i think they are the ones in warm water???) he wants cold water...which means we wil probs get cold water lol as its easier to agree.
Question is: What can i do to make my life easierin terms of cleaning ? Does a pump mean that you have to clean it less? And what cool looking cold water fish can u get (dont really want goldfish)
On the plus side we went to the tip after deciding and i found a massive glass tank....wooohoo!!! freefreefree. :dance:

ive had cold water fish, and now ive got tropical fish

some people say cold water are easier to look after, in one way they are.. ie dont need a heater, no worries if you have a power cut etc .... but I found them alot more messier and dirtier, the tank needed cleaning more often than tropical..
you need a filter if you have either, need to keep the water flowing, and it picks up all the crap, so it does need cleaning..

good luck with whatever you decide on :wink:

Coldwater fish. To make it easier on cleaning I recommend water snails... we had a beginner tank and had 3 snails, you gotta account for 1 or 2 not surviving the water change and they're only like 70p anyway. I had a goldfish and an oranda, which wasn't that cool I suppose but looked different enough. There were also some called celestial and I had one of those - everyone said he was a butt ugly fish but I thought he was cute and different.

Here's some fishies for you :)
http://www.fishforums.net/content/Coldw ... -goldfish/

If your tank is bigger, there's a fish type thing you can get that basically eats the poo and cleans up for you on a more hardcore scale than the snails but I've forgotton for the life of me what it's called. It's like a sucky type thing that slimes up the tank. If you ask them at the fish place anyhow they'll tell you.

You'll need a water pump and a filter and the filter has little foamy spongy pieces in that are the filter. If the tank starts to get a bit green you need to take these foams out and either wash them clean and reuse them, or buy new ones.

x

paiges_mummy said:

omg shell NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :rotfl: :rotfl:
I brought 5 water snails and ended up with 105 :wall: :wall: :wall:

leckershell said:
Coldwater fish. To make it easier on cleaning I recommend water snails... we had a beginner tank and had 3 snails, you gotta account for 1 or 2 not surviving the water change and they're only like 70p anyway. I had a goldfish and an oranda, which wasn't that cool I suppose but looked different enough. There were also some called celestial and I had one of those - everyone said he was a butt ugly fish but I thought he was cute and different.

Here's some fishies for you :)
http://www.fishforums.net/content/Coldw ... -goldfish/

If your tank is bigger, there's a fish type thing you can get that basically eats the poo and cleans up for you on a more hardcore scale than the snails but I've forgotton for the life of me what it's called. It's like a sucky type thing that slimes up the tank. If you ask them at the fish place anyhow they'll tell you.

You'll need a water pump and a filter and the filter has little foamy spongy pieces in that are the filter. If the tank starts to get a bit green you need to take these foams out and either wash them clean and reuse them, or buy new ones.

x

I love that celestial fish! I love the bubbly ones (my fave are the black ones with bulgy eyes)! Do you think i can get them at a pets at home type store? Thanks for the info! I am really looking forawrd to getting some now :)

paiges_mummy said:

some people say cold water are easier to look after, in one way they are.. ie dont need a heater, no worries if you have a power cut etc .... but I found them alot more messier and dirtier, the tank needed cleaning more often than tropical..
you need a filter if you have either, need to keep the water flowing, and it picks up all the crap, so it does need cleaning..

good luck with whatever you decide on :wink:

I really like the tropical as i saw those neon little fish with the bright blue. I can imagine i will b able to cope cleaning wise..after all i do have 2 dogs. I spose i was just looking for an easier option. Never had fish before!

paiges_mummy said:
[quote="paiges_mummy":xneoe2ir]ive had cold water fish, and now ive got tropical fish

omg shell NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :rotfl: :rotfl:
I brought 5 water snails and ended up with 105 :wall: :wall: :wall:
[/quote:xneoe2ir]

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

hehe i had 30 neons hun, i went out and brought a shark :roll: :roll: and :wall: :wall: they have all gone :shakehead: :shakehead:

We bought Josh some fish last week. We got a starter kit and planned on getting him a goldfish.

Once it'd been set up a few days we went out and asked for some cold water fish so the bloke gave us 2 mollies.

We got them home, unaware that they were actually tropical fish. One of them seemed really poorly, off it's food and just hiding in the plants.

Turns out it was pregnant cos 2 days later there were loads of tiny baby fishes swimming about and the big ones were eating them :(

We had to go back to the shop and explain again that it was cold water fish we wanted :lol:

So we got it sorted and now we have a single goldfish. Josh wanted to call it Ethan :? but in the end he decided on Sportacus :roll: :rotfl:

Anyway, that's my fishy story :lol:

Oh, I love them neon ones, they're cool... 8)

poochielove said:
paiges_mummy said:
hehe i had 30 neons hun, i went out and brought a shark :roll: :roll: and :wall: :wall: they have all gone :shakehead: :shakehead:

lol! I will bear that in mind :rotfl:

the same with koi too.. i bought one by mistake, only a little one, but it was quite angry compared to my little celestial.. poor thing. survived it though but i think the koi died cos I didn't have the right stuff for it. :think:

x-kirsty-x said:
We bought Josh some fish last week. We got a starter kit and planned on getting him a goldfish.

Once it'd been set up a few days we went out and asked for some cold water fish so the bloke gave us 2 mollies.

We got them home, unaware that they were actually tropical fish. One of them seemed really poorly, off it's food and just hiding in the plants.

Turns out it was pregnant cos 2 days later there were loads of tiny baby fishes swimming about and the big ones were eating them :(

We had to go back to the shop and explain again that it was cold water fish we wanted :lol:

So we got it sorted and now we have a single goldfish. Josh wanted to call it Ethan :? but in the end he decided on Sportacus :roll: :rotfl:

Anyway, that's my fishy story :lol:

Oh, I love them neon ones, they're cool... 8)

Thats a bit stupid of the guy selling them!! Sportacus - love it :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back