• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Antenatal classes were great!

Anna Marie

Reaction score
Had my antenatal "workshop" classes Saturday and Sunday.. really great!!

Run by my midwife there were only 10 of us in class [including partners] so quite informal and casual.. covered signs of labour, pain relief, birth plans, alternative births etc... all very interesting and soooo glad I went.

Yes I have read most of what was told and could get all the info I need from everyone on here but it really does make a difference hearing from midwives and their experiences and made me feel much more relaxed about it all - and made OH and I a bit more excited about it all!!

More workshops planned to cover more on the birth, show video and then post birth and breastfeeding etc.. and I wil have parentcraft ones at the hospital too in July.. gonna go to them all now I know how useful they are....

so if anyone is in 2 minds about going to classes.. I would recommend them!! :clap:

pleased you enjoyed the classes anna-marie :lol:

Xxx

glad you enjoyedyour classes.. i have my first 24th may.. i've heard a mixed opinion.. some enjoyed them and other said they where a waste of time.. i'm going to give them a go and make my own mind up... looking forward to the hospital tour!

x

Think im definately gonna go to antenatal classes, they sound fab xx

I agree Anna Marie, I had my first last week, it was really good. Got my hospital visit tonight.

eveadel - come back on and let us know what happens at the hospital visit... i'm looking forward to that part but don't know how much they'll actually show us! i know every hospital will be different but let us know how you get on.

x

Unfortunately my local hos does not do the visits any more.. aparently we can have a virtual tour during one of our classes.. something to do with bothering women who are on the wards / delivery rooms etc... I guess it makes sense.. to be honest I think the less I know about where and when the better.. if I see some of the equipment or the beds I may freak out a bit!!!!!!!!

Yes Eveadel please let us know how it went and what you thought of it all!

I will do girls.

MW said please have a sit on the birthing stool - I havent got a clue what one of them is!!

wow - i've been trying to find out what a birthing stool looks like for ages... you have got to come back on and tell me... i read somewhere that the birthing stool is great... feels like your sitting on the loo!!! everyone seems to describe the pushing as trying to do a huge poo well we might as well feel like we're sitting on the porcelin... as your upright the gravety helps get the baby out...

I just don't understand where te midwife goes! will she be underneith????
x

Hi girls

I went on the hospital visit last night. It was really informative and it makes it more real!!

We first had a look at a normal labour room which was quite clinical, this is room you would be in if you wanted an epidural or needed assistance. The other rooms were the low risk rooms and they were lovely, all decorated nice and more of a home from home room with a birthing pool in the there. I sat on the birthing stool and it is abit like a toilet as you said hayley but without the front bit. So the midwife can get on the floor and have a look or shine a torch to see how things are progressing. We then went into the ward but is was really empty. We also got to see a ickle 3 day old baby - he was so cute it made me and another girls eyes water!!.

We also had a look at theatre but wasnt not allowed to go

so the midwife does get underneith... thats been puzzling me.. don't know if i'm going off the idea now! i know this will be the last thing on my mind but if i'm sitting on a seat similar to a toilet with a midwife lying underneith i'm going to worried incase i break wind or even worse - do a poo... also she'll be able to see right up my back passage...

your hospitak sounds similar to mine.. at my 1st scan the midwife explained that they have comfy rooms where you check in, go through labour and then deliver.. its made to look like a home from home with pictures on the walls and all the machinery hidden behind things... but they did day if i wanted an epidural i'd be moved to a true deliver room...

glad you enjoyed it - do you feel more at ease knowing what to expect now... really looking forward to my hospital visit...

hehe I never thought about having a poo on the stool!!!! Im hoping Im empty beforehand!!

I think I do feel better having the hospital visit just reading up on homeopathy and other alternative therapies to get me ready

Anna Marie - what hospital are you going to?

L x

:oops: When do we start our antenatal classes i havent heard nothing about them and this is my first baby is it to late?

Hi there,

Lisa I am at Nottingham City Hospital... closest to me and am already a patient for other things so makes sense to keep it all under one roof where they know me and my history...

Sarah.. antenatal classes usually start from around 23 weeks depending on your local area... ask your midwife as they usually arrange it or at the hospital where you are registered will be able to tell you.

:wink:

Glad your ante natal classes went well Anna Marie, it's always useful to get other peoples take on them.

We're attending our first one this weekend at Nottingham City Hospital. I didn't know they no longer offer hospital tours. Like you say I can see why they don't but I was kind of looking forward to that bit.

ahh! so is it all the hospitals stopping the tour round the wards? - cos I found that bit really good - its a bit unfair I think.

thanks Anna Marie i am going to call my midwife next week xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx im so excited to do them

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salata Sara
Back