am i being overly sensitive (again)

EmmBee123

Reaction score
Ok, not sure whether to be p'd off, and if I should keep quiet or rant to them about it.

OHs family are driving me barmy. MIL hasn't spoken to us in months and now his sisters are starting to wind me up. Got a text today from one saying that all christmas was arranged and that there were 2 family parties that had been sorted. OH and I had never been included in the discussions (as per usual) and we'd have to travel miles to get to them both.

The thing that has wound me up is that there is no thought to the fact that baby will be a matter of weeks old at the time and they seem to think nothing of expecting us to traipse across the county to suit them.

Tempted to have a little do here and say that if they want to see us they can come to us.

Am I being overly sensitive?

I don't think you are actually, it's one thing for them to decide what you and OH are doing without telling you (some people just like to rule!) but to not think about the baby.
I think it's perfectly reasonable to say actually this year we're staying at home and you are more than welcome to join us but we won't be visiting anyone this Christmas and leave it to them

I agree with tinks, do what you want to do this year. I normally travel 500 miles to see my family or hubby's family around Xmas and new year but I've already made it clear I won't be deciding until baby is here and depending on how bad snow is in Scotland!

Your not being overly sensitive at all.

I ve already decided we will not be going anywhere this year and will be having a quite Christmas just the 3 of us. May go to my mums for lunch (she's only 10 mins down the road) but then come home and just relax. I know my dad will prob have a bit of a sulk as he lives about an hr away and comes to my mums on Christmas day evening with my gran (which i think is very nice of my mum considering they've been divorced over 20 yrs)........

U should put yourselves first there's plenty of time for others but u certainly shouldn't be just expected to travel with a new baby!
X

I agree, have your do at home, your baby is going to be little you are still going to be getting used to things so stay home and tell them they are welcome to pop in..... I have discovered that most people dont mean anything by it, its just that they dont think. Their actions arent generally intentionally inconsiderate but people just dont see things from another point of view and sometimes they think theyre helping...ie did they think that they would arrange things as youve got enough on your plate??? It helps me to think that way when I get aggitated especially at the moment as Im aggitated most of the time ha haxxx

i think people just tend to forget what it is like having a newborn baby around thats all. im actually taking my lo to my great aunts 60th wedding anniversary hewill only be a few days old and its over 200 miles away so i know i need to be leaving very early for the nappy stops lol

there would be no harm like you said just sending them a litte invite and saying that you think it will be too much for you when the baby is so young but they are more than welcome to come to your little get together.

if they then turn round as say its too muh for them, then i'd be mad as youve explained the situation and offered them something else.

like i say unless you have a newborn baby yourself you tend to forget how much planning etc is involved just for a trip to the shops xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back