allergy tests

trixipaws

Reaction score
millie is at docs tomorrah for her allergy test (my boyf has a nut allergy and i have asthma (altho idk how asthma is related) so we are high risk. also i ate a tracker bar when i was about 10 weeks pregnant before i knew ur not supposed to eat nuts if u or babydaddy has nut allergy or asthma)

has anyone's LO had one? does it involve taking a big syringe of blood from her like when i give blood samples? or is it a little pinprick like the heel test on newborns?

who has had it- whose LO's were clear and whose werent? just wondering how likely it is :think:

really hope she hasnt inherited it from my boyf :pray:

Sorry hun dont know anything about allery testing but wanted to say i hope it all goes well for Millie :hug: :hug:

Have found this though for you from this link http://www.kidsallergies.co.uk/food-all ... ldren.html

Blood Tests
A blood test involves the child giving a sample of blood, often quite large, which is sent away for analysis and cross examination with other substances. This can be quite unpleasant for the child so it may be advisable to try other methods first.

Skin Prick Test
Often the most common form of allergy test, though not recommended for those under 1 year, the test involves introducing likely allergens to the skin using a tiny dot followed by a scratch or prick to the skin to allow the substance to enter the body. The reaction on the skins surface is then observed for a certain period in order to gauge whether the reaction is an allergy or not.

It can produce a false result if allergy medications are being taken or if an infection develops from contamination of the area.

Food allergy testing has been a subject of great debate over the years. Many parents feel reassured by finding out the source of the problem, whilst many medical personnel feel that the costs do not often justify the action as most allergies are grown out of by adulthood and reactions are often minor.

It is important however to find out the source of any allergy if then reaction to the allergen is severe as some allergies such as a nut allergy can be fatal and appear to be becoming more common.

If you search in the link it tells you more about the different tests they may use.

I found it really helped, when Cooper was having his blood test from his heel, if i massaged his leg and heel as it warmed the area up and made the blood flow more easierly IYKWIM :hug:

Just to add trixi I had the skin prick test when a child (about 8 years) i know its alot older than melissa but it didnt hurt in the slightest mainly itchy where the things i was allergic were put.

So dont worry if thats the method they use it sounds quite barbaric but isnt:hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back