• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

aaarrrrrrggggg (my car)

Sandi4Paul

Reaction score
took my 2001 Peugeot in for a service and MOT, they think it will be £1200 to £1800 to fix everything.

they gave me a long list of what was wrong and we didn't even get as far as finding out why it faled it's MOT.

As we are planning on migrating we think we might just get the MOT pass and then run it into the ground before leaving.

But still my finainces do not need this right now!

Sandi

A service should be no more than a few hundred pounds tops so where on earth are they getting £1200-£1800 from?

What on earth did it fail its MOT on? It must be something huge or lots of things for it to be that much. And for a 2001 car that seems odd.

Is this a reputable garage?

Check and see what exactly its failed on.

I will find out why it has failed it's MOT when i pick it up today, the list and cost they gave me were just from the service (I got this over the phone princess so havem't seen the MOT sheet)

Some of whihc i knew were an issue oh well.

they are the franchise garage so prices are higher thatn others, but some of th work seemed extensive (but i am not a car expert). They weren't sure of some of the cost as they would need to take the part apart to find out the problme (brakes etc).

they do tend to be a little eager to 'fix' things with it so i only ever get them to do ther service and MOT.

Sandi

My course of action would be to see what it failed the MOT on and if its not much then get those things fixed and get it through the MOT. That way you can at least drive it. Brakes etc will have to be to a certain standard to be able to pass an MOT anyways. If they failed the MOT then of course will need fixing to a standard it will pass, but they should be able to tell you easily enough why they failed. Might just be new brake pads needed which is not a huge thing.

Then look at a service elsewhere. A service does look for potential problems but does not mean it all needs doing *now*. Some stuff can be left for a while or is non urgent. A decent garage should be able to tell you what to prioritise.

I never service my car the same time as it is MOT'd. I always leave it till afterwards so you can see if its worth doing. Or else we service before the winter sets in. Ours has one small service after the MOT and one full one in November.

Sounds to me like you have mechanical faults that are not really standard 'service' related things (oil change, oil filter, plugs etc) but bigger problems.

it is the internal brake stuff it failed on, something to do with seizing up. It's listed as Dangerous, but they say they don't know why it has seized untul they take it apart so can't give an idea of price.

Also there is an oil leak from the head gasket (£500) but they said as they weren't the cheapest i would be better going elsewhere for the repairs. They did suggest i think twice about driving it anywhere until it is fixed.

sandi

A head gasket problem can be terminal. An oil leak might not be major though. We thought we had one but when they powerwashed the engine off it was found to be elsewhere and therefore blowing out over everything making it look like the head gasket was going. Cost us a couple of hundred in parts and labour to fix.

When was your cambelt last changed? For the sake of £50 if you plan to keep the car I'd change it if its not been done in the last 20,000 miles or so.

Brake wise doesn't sound good either. But then it might be something simple. Sorry I can't help more.

On both counts an hour or two's worth of labour to see what the problems are first is always good. It may well be better to cut your losses and just get another run around for £1000 or so until you move overseas rather than spend on this one. I bought a brilliant VW Golf a few years back for £1000 and its been amazing. Done another 50,000 miles and I've only had to spend out on an alternator cost wise. The rest has been service, standard wear and tear (brake pads, tyres etc) and tiny MOT failures (a tyre or bulb going). Best £1000 I spent on a car. Now we are getting rid of it and going down to one car.

If your planning to move soon I would just get what you can for the car you have then get a dirt cheap one with a MOT to last you till you move. That is soooo expencive!

Sandi4Paul said:
it is the internal brake stuff it failed on, something to do with seizing up. It's listed as Dangerous, but they say they don't know why it has seized untul they take it apart so can't give an idea of price.

Also there is an oil leak from the head gasket (£500) but they said as they weren't the cheapest i would be better going elsewhere for the repairs. They did suggest i think twice about driving it anywhere until it is fixed.

sandi

probably a siezed caliper (quite a common thing), few hours work to repair it, or about hour and half to strip the old one and put on the new one and bleed system.

sore one for head gasket though!... last pug head gasket i done i charged less than half that (gotta love franchise labour charges, and slow workers!).. he's told you not to drive it, because if the headgasket is goosed the engine will get warmer and warp the head (more money)... but usually if its leaking oil, the other signs are there too (mayo on oil cap, white smoke out exhaust etc).

hope you get it sorted either way :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back