6 week weight worries

benjis mum

Reaction score
Joe was 9lb at birth, he lost some weight but nothing overly concerning. However it took him 3 weeks to get back to. birth weight he's now 6 weeks and today weighed 10lb 1oz. He breastfeeds such a lot, so why isn't he piling on the pounds like the rest of your Lo?

Where i live is very very pushy towards bf so I'm not sure im getting completely unbiased support. I'm really ptoud to have breastfed Joe for 6 weeks (i only managed 2 weeks with Ben) I think i ptoduce a lot as i leak frequently but Joe never seems satisfied or happy. Im worried he'll never learn to smile because he never seems happy :-(

I'm not sure but in a similar position. K was 6lbs8oz and went down to 5lbs12oz. At 4 weeks she was 7lbs9oz. Up until 5.5 weeks she was combination feeding, but now completely refuses the bottle so I am worried she isn't getting enough. I am guessing she is 8.5lbs now but am going to have her weighed today. I am hoping that some babies are just naturally thinner!?

Aw i am sure he will learn to smile! Maybe there is another issue for him, like reflux? Hope all turns out well! Xx

As long as he is gaining I wouldn't worry. Some babies gain weight less quickly than others but were all different. I learnt not to compare Drake with other babies as it just leads to unnecessary worry.

I have the same problem, I do give him 2 bottles now but that is more a lifestyle choice for me. He was always satisfied when he was bf and so I couldnt understand it other than because I was very unwell after my birth my milk just wasnt good enough!! The HV did just say that babies come in all sizes and as long as he is alert and contented then that is what matters not his weight!!
xxx

It's the contented bit I worry about...he just seems so grumpy unless he's asleep.

When I went to have K weighed todday they said they want bf babies to gain 4oz a week, so your little guy has definitely done that. I would wonder if he has reflux or something else that is causing him pain? I hope he gets better!

Bf babies are also generally slimmer that ff babies as the milk is better for them. Don't feel disheartened the HV would tell u if she was worried! You're doing the best for your baby and doing an amazing job!

It's the contented bit I worry about...he just seems so grumpy unless he's asleep.

I BF Issac then i was giving him a bedtime bottle of formula, he is now fed from bottle with expressed milk only, He was always grumpy and cried alot, i thought it was my milk but now looking back i realise he had colic :(

I never had a problem with his weight gain even though he had a bad latch he alway seemed to be getting enough by his charts but his nature was so upsetting.

He is 4 months and the happiest baby ever (which i cant believe because of how miserable he used to be!) i really dont think its because he is on bottles though i truely think he had colic and i never realised.

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back