• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

12 week old baby - advice needed

rhian85

Reaction score
hello to all.

we need some advice on weaning as our 12 week old baby has been feeding every 2hours and just started waking thru the night. having previously slept thru and did feed every 4-5 hours. he is now demanding food every 2 hourse and has started watching us as we eat. i know that it is not recommended to wean them until they are at least 4 months but his feeding is getting silly - we just cant keep up with him - can we start weaning ? or should i talk to gp/hv ?

Rhian and baby christopher.

i was advised against it from my hv with my 1st baby, but she was doing exactly the same, so i started her on baby rice and she was much better and went longer between feeds once she started having a little bit.

The hv will try and tell you that you dont need to give your baby anything other than milk until 4mths, but sometimes thats not the case

if your happy to try it then id say go ahead, it didnt do bethany any harm

My HV said 4 months as there digestive systems can't cope with it before that.

I'd say try her and see how she goes, she will let you know if she doesn't want it. When i had my first baby it was still advised to start weaning at 12 weeks anyway and that was only 6 and a half years ago.

Hiya

I started Willow on baby rice at 12 weeks not really recommended but neither is not sleeping.

She did look a bit like a big ball of baby fat at 5 months though :lol:

I wouldn't try him on anything heavy at this age, we've been giving Harrison a few spoonfulls of baby rice before bed since he was 12 weeks as he stopped sleeping through & showing signs of being very hungry & ever since he's been on it he's been sleeping through again

You know your baby best and if you think he is ready for solids then my advice would be do it even if hv says otherwise.
I had the same thinkg with my son 6 years ago and was told by hv not to start weaning but in the end i just ignored them and did what i thought was right and hey presto I had a much more settled baby. I started him on baby rice and little petite fillous yoghurts.

If you think hes ready then he is Hv's follow guidelines they arent there with you to see how your baby is o they dont know, try him with baby rice and if he doesnt like it try a ruck, Alfie was weaned at 14weeks and he didnt like either so he went onto proper food and when he hit 4 months i started doing my own, he now only eats the tinned stuff if we go out anywhere. try him hun hell be fine :hug:

i am in the same predicament with my Jakob, but you say 12 weeks, but your ticker says your baby is 11 weeks..i would say maybe a few spoonfulls of babyrice before bed but at 12 weeks min...is your ticker wrong or?

Could also be a growth spurt though....

Is he breastfed or formula fed? Mel was the same at 12 weeks but we swapped him onto hungry baby formula and he was satisfied straight away and then managed to last until the end of 17 weeks before we introduced solids. Might be worth a go first.

+++

Kaiden was the same, he was weaned younger than ur baby, have you tried the hungry baby milk, if that doesnt work then maybe you could give some baby rice XkelX

Jess was the same but I swaped from sma gold to cow and gate white and now she feeds every 4hrs. I started Luke on rice and rusks a12 weeks and it workd and he was fine. the hv told me today its now 6months not 4 but I will be starting her b4 then

Sorry but......whats wrong with your baby feeding every two hours? They only have small tummys! I would try the hungry baby milk and put off weaning for a long time yet!

Go with what you feel is right hun. I'm not going to tell what you should or shouldn't do because only you know your baby. You know if he's ready or not.

The current advice isn't 4 months, it's 6 months.
This is a big decision to make, I would get professional advice before weaning at this age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back