What will I need for breastfeeding

Pickledonions

Reaction score
Really want to breast feed and im pretty stubborn so normally stick to what I say and perservere I just have a few worries, and questions about what I will need. Firstly, is it worth getting the bottle steraliser sets even if I do cope and carry on...that way I have lots of bottles for expressing so that dh can feed sometimes.? I have been pondering it alot mainly because I feel like what if when dh goes back to work and I struggle to do feeds and panic and I have no formula or bottles in the house. Im sure this is just my anxiety creeping in. I just cant afford to buy things I dont need or wont use really so just wondered what you found essential . I will obv be getting a breast pump......hope this made sence:lol:

Tbh I wish I had just thought 'right, I'm gonna breastfeed and all I need is my boobs' cos as soon as you start giving bottles (or whatever) you start worrying about a whole load of other things like nipple confusion/amounts of milk LO is taking etc etc.

All I would say is stock up on breast pads. I liked boots ultra thin ones for size and discretion but they are only in a box of 36 (I think), so will only last 18 days! You'll probably want thicker ones for the first couple of weeks though. And buy LOTS of muslins, I have about 30 which is a bit excessive, but they are so handy for everything, and a great breastfeeding cover up :)

As above really. You can get reusable breast pads as well if you fancied saving some pennies (its fleece against your skin I believe so its nice and soft).

Again, lots of muslins because they're crazy handy. You want some really good nipple cream because your more than likely going to be sore for the first bit.

Maybe a feeding pillow. You can just put a normal pillow under your arm no problems but they come in handy.

Can't think of anything else at the moment. Oh, if youve got a phone that supports it Ive seen alot of mums have apps on their phones to just keep up to date on feeding times and how long etc. I never used them but I guess they must be a bit useful.

I haven't bought any bottles or a steriliser, just got the one that came with the breast pump i bought - like you i'd really like to breastfeed, and i feel i'll give up if its difficult and the bottles are there. In regards to breasts pads, i bought some LilyPadz from Boots, although you can get them in Tesco, although its via their direct service, didn't see any in store. LilyPadz are reusable, but unlike others they are made of thin silicon that sticks itself over your nipples. They don't absorb any leaks but work sort of like a vacuum and prevent them. I don't know how well they work though as LO isn't here yet but they looked pretty nifty

I had real problems breast feeding which I did not expect at all, I was 100% sure I was gonna breast feed and didnt have any concerns about it, I just thought, Ive got massive boobies, its what my boobies are for, so it'll be fine.

Im glad I had a cheap microwave steriliser in the house and some bottles. I thought Id only use them later on for OH to feed expressed milk but we had to use them from the word go.

After my expereince Id say get some but everyone else seems to think thats a bad idea so I dunno! :lol: all I know is that once the baby is born you wont just be able to pop out shopping to get bits cos its a right hassle!

thanks all your advice is really useful so thanks. I dont think having the bottles there would make me more inclined to give up as such i guess it would just take away my anxiety over what happens if i physically cant breast feed. Also money for us will be tight so may be best to buy now whilst i stil have an income im taking it the full sets are pricey? Too many things on the market its so confusing. I suppose i could buy a few bottles and get sterilising tablets? Thanks girls for your advice

I agree with titch actually, I was the same was certain w I would breastfeed and that was that. I did buy a steriliser in advance and a few bottles as I was thinking of expressing down the line. I had no formula though and OH had to go and get some as we got desperate when she was losing weight and just wouldn't settle as my milk supply was crap. I'd had an emergency c section so that too was unplanned and I obv had to rely on OH for things in the early weeks. I was glad I had the bottles and steriliser as he wouldn't have a clue! I'd just get a cheap microwave one so your not spending a fortune. Some set usually come with a few bottles and then if needs be you could buy more later of needed but at least you have some basics. I BF for three weeks then had to switch to FF. I was doing a mix for a while then I went to soley FF. I gave it a good go and I did consider trying again after a while as my supply suddenly increased and stayed for a while but Grace was so content by then that i just carried on xxx

yeah I had to send OH to tesco when I was in hospital as I made the silly mistake of telling them I had no formula in the house. They didnt want to discharge me until I had some in, which made sense as it was a sunday so supermakets would be shut poor baby wouldve starved! I didnt have any milk to express, so the hospital made the decision to FF feed as his blood sugars were dropping. I never thought they did that, and I think I wouldve persisted. They dont tell you when youre pregnant, and I kind of see why, cos it might make more women give up when they dont need to, but sometimes you just cant BF. I wish Id known that, cos all I ever heard was "oh thats rubbish you just need to get the positioning right and make sure baby is latching and you'll be fine, it just takes persitence" made me feel like a total failure when they told me to give him formula, and Ihad to sign a form saying that it would permanently change his digestive tract etc... if anything I wish I was more mentally prepared!

I would agree on the getting a few bits in. I was just a mess because it hurt so much to feed my LO and I just couldnt bring myself to do it so because I had everything in the house ready my mum sat and comforted me upstairs while I sobbed my little heart out and FOB gave her a bottle downstairs.

It would have been a right palava if we'd of had to go and get everything from the shops! I brought about 4 of the premade cartons in 2 different makes in case one didn't settle right with her. It was lucky I did that because she projectile vomited the aptimal.

i am going to BF and haven't got a sterilizer or breast pump... are they necesary?
i thought my boob would just do...

I didnt get a sterilizer till M was 4 weeks wish i had one as i was cup feeding for about 3 weeks with no sterlilizer and just using bolied water

i am going to BF and haven't got a sterilizer or breast pump... are they necesary?

im sure your boobs will do just lovely. I bought a breast pump after LO was here. I had to use one in hospital to try and get some milk so I kept going at home. To be honest, its only worth getting a decent breastpump if youre going to use one, and they cost upward of 80 quid. So I dont think its money worth spending on the off chance. I ordered mine off boots website from home and the hospital had one for me to use before i was discharged.

On the other hand a carton of milk costs about 50p and its worth having one inthe house, you cant even imagine the levels of stress when your baby is screaming in hunger and you cant latch them on. :wall2:

Not really I guess Im just worried in case I really cant do it...and dont want a screaming hungry baby and to have to make it wait til I have got something fromm the shops! Also I intend to use follow on milk when I start weaning so might be worth me purchasing before hand

Not read all the replies, sorry, watching tv :roll:

I think our sterilizer was a waste of money tbh. It's a lot of money on electricity, and if you're mainly breastfeeding, you'd only need one bottle at a time, so it's just not worth it. We more often now just sterilize ina bowl with boiling water.

I would get a bottle and some formula in just in case though. In week 3 Sophia had a growth spurt and I just couldn't keep up. She went to 1 bottle a day for a while, but dropped it again.

I found a nursing pillow was a must when Sophia was small.

oh yes nursing pillow and nipple cream.dont worry about follow on milk, by the time your baby is ready for weaning you'll be feeling much more human and able to make a supermarket shop. Plus midwives recommend you stay on infant milk until theyre 1 anyway, follow on milk is more of a marketing thing. Just focus on getting though the first 3 months for now and the rest will follow naturally on.

Hello
I got a breast pump, steriliser and a few bottles before I had dexter, so they were here ready, but didn't bother getting any formula
I've breastfeed him since the start with only one bad day where I couldn't get him to latch on properly, if I'd had formula in the house that day I'm sure I'd have given it to him cus it was horrible seeing him so upset, but as it happened I was. Glad to have my steriliser and pump as even tho it was the middle of the night I could express him a bottle and give him that :)
My steriliser is a microwave tommee tippee one and was only £15 so not bad and is so easy to use and quick, and I got the pump in tkmaxx for half normal price ;) you've got plenty of time till little one arrives so keep your eyes peeled in sales and things

I'm by no means an expert as my first baby isn't here yet... but... I'm also hoping to breastfeed and have bought what I think is the bare minimum to allow me to express as well if I need to or if I struggle.

I've bought a breast pump and one bottle & teat (the Medela Calma one which is supposed to be close to breastfeeding) and some steralising bags. I was going to buy a steriliser but didn't know how much use I'd get out of it for the money so bought the bags instead which were about £5 and can be re-used a few times. If I do struggle and have to go down the expressing route, I'll just buy more bottles but hopefully I'll be able to manage.

I've also bought a nursing cushion from ebay which saved me quite a bit of money. And I'll be stocking up on breast pads and nipple cream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back