Positive discrimination - Your views..

Krystal

Reaction score
News Story

I was reading the above article about positive discrimination. The police force and others are looking into recruiting black/asian/women as a way of upping their numbers.

Chief constables in England and Wales are to discuss whether to boost the recruitment of black and Asian officers by "affirmative action".
The Association of Chief Police Officers will debate the move, which would need employment law changes.

Under the plan, women would also get priority in order to boost numbers.

Under such a plan, if two job candidates met the required standards, the candidate whose ethnicity is under-represented in the force would be selected.

Acpo says this differs from "positive discrimination", which it says means hiring minorities regardless of whether they are qualified for a job.

I think it is ridiculous, surely someone should get a job because they are qualified not because they are an ethnic minority or just because they are a woman :roll: I knwo discrimination can happen in a workplace and I don't agree with that but positive discrimination is just as bad IMO..

What do you think?

BTW that story was from 07 but this has recently been brought up again :)

I agree, positive discrimination is never good IMO.

Its done purely to stroke the stats and make an organisation or service appear to be supporting equal opportunities.

I can see how the police force needs to have representatives from across all cultures/sexes etc, its a good thing to have a mulit-cultural police force, but this could be easily achieved purely by recruiting based on skills and qualifications surely?

ANY discrimination, positive or otherwise, only serves to re-inforce boundries that would be more easily broken down if there was NO discrimination atall!

Operation Good Guys - Operation Snowdrop :wink: Its not on Youtube but it was the episode when they all had to dress up as minorities and go out into the community. It was funny as fook :lol:

Discrimination is discrimination, there is no such thing as positive or negative discrimination IMO.

They do it in south africa under their "Affirmative action" policy. A lot of qualified and experienced people cannot get jobs now so are being forced out of the country and people going into "skilled" jobs do not have the qualifications nor experience to do the job properly so standards will continue to slide.

i always tick "other" or "prefer not to say" on application forms etc. they cant tell what race someone is by their handwriting or name so surely its more non-discriminatory (is that a word?!) to leave that bit off forms :think: i always think why do they need 2 kno that, they dont need 2 kno that lol so i dont tell them hehe

I'd be bloody offended if I was employed to get the numbers up of female employees and not because I deserved the job!

Surely whether it's positive or negative it's STILL discrimination?

Sorry, but in this day and age we should forget the bloody "asian/black" thing and accept that we all live, breathe, eat, sleep etc and therefore all human!

The race issue will never be resolved if this kind of thing is brought up all the time...

xx

dannii87 said:
I'd be bloody offended if I was employed to get the numbers up of female employees and not because I deserved the job!

Too right, its very patronising isnt it!!!!

glitzyglamgirl said:
dannii87 said:

Too right, its very patronising isnt it!!!!

But to be fair the point is that you wouldn't get the job just because you was a woman, they are saying that if for example 2 people went for exactly the same job and were equally qualified and both suitable then for reasons of introducing more women into that particular workforce then the woman would be chosen. Really the employers are in a no win situation because if they didn't chose the woman then we would moan that women are being discriminated against and if we are chosen then we moan that we are being patronised. I know we should all be chosen based on our merits but you can't deny that the police force for example would probably benefit from being more multi cultural? :think: However I think the way to go about this is to make the police force more appealing to the people they are trying to include.

ISN'T THIS DICRIMINATING AGAINTS WHITE MEN THEN? SURELY THE JOB SHOULD BE GIVEN TO THE MOST SUITABLE PERSON FOR THE JOB NOT TO A PERSON BECAUSE THEY HAVE A CERTAIN SKIN COLOUR OR THEY ARE A CERTAIN SEX :shakehead: (had caps lock on :lol: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back