peanuts...?

claireyfairey

Reaction score
Just wanted to know peoples' opinions on whether it's safe to eat peanuts during pregnancy?

Neither myself or my partner, or anyone in our families have allergies so I have eaten peanut butter now and then.....and I ate a snickers the other night :oops: My OH is worried about it, but I just don't know how much I believe the advice?

Anyone got any opinions? Discuss! :D

C xxx

I try not to over eat them and have cut out peanut butter sarnies because I would eat them everyday. But I haven't gone over board. If I feel like a snickers or something with nuts I will eat it. I don't eat nutty stuff very often (other than the peanut butter) my familly all have allergies I have hayfeaver and allergies to animals. My brothers have exma and athsma(sp) and so does my sister. But I cant imagine the reasons we have allergies is my mums fault because she ate nuts during pregnancy. I think if your babes gonna be allergic to something he/she will be regardless of what you do. :hug:

I personally think the peanut advise is total bull!! My mums a midwife and works with them and they all agree theres no evidence, there was also a post a while back from a mum on here (sorry cant remember who) expalining why she thought it to be rubbish

I dont eat any more or less nuts then before but i am certainly not cutting them out

I did read a post on here from someone saying they avoided peanuts and nuts completely while pregnant and their LO still got the allergy so don't think there's much behind it.

As with all things to do with food and pregnancy, I am only having it in moderation, not going to run myself a peanut butter bath while eating nutella sandwiches with chocolate covered brazil nuts or anything!! x

The current medical advice in the UK on not eating them in pregnancy is under 'urgent' review.

Since the advice to not eat them became standard in the UK, peanut allergy rates in children have in fact soared and we have the highest rates in Europe. We are also one of the few countries (possibly the only one IIRC) within the EU that advises expectant Mums to not eat peanuts when pregnant. If I lived in the Netherlands or Spain etc I'd not be told to avoid them :roll:

I personally am asthmatic but am eating them while PG as I believe that in doing so my LO is more likely to build up a tolerance to them from exposure than if I don't eat them. I personally feel the current UK medical advice is wrong and we are doing more harm than good in avoiding them in our diet while PG.

The Gov advice IIRC atm is if you have allergies, excema etc to avoid them.

I know a Mum posted here who didn't eat one peanut when PG and her child has an allergy to them. There are many discussions on this subject if you use the search function and look up 'peanuts' or 'peanut allergy' on various forums. Have a read of those and see what you think.

I think you have to decide for youself what you feel safe doing. I'd not advise you one way or the other. Its personal choice. If you read up and are informed you can decide for yourself :)

HideiLu said:
As with all things to do with food and pregnancy, I am only having it in moderation, not going to run myself a peanut butter bath while eating nutella sandwiches with chocolate covered brazil nuts or anything!! x

Mmm, that sounds yummy!!! :rotfl:

claireyfairey said:
HideiLu said:

Lol that really does sound nice! I love chocolate Brazil nuts oooooo and sugar almonds!!! Ooooo and yougart coated nuts!!!

abcd1234 said:
I personally think the peanut advise is total bull!! My mums a midwife and works with them and they all agree theres no evidence, there was also a post a while back from a mum on here (sorry cant remember who) expalining why she thought it to be rubbish

I dont eat any more or less nuts then before but i am certainly not cutting them out
I totally agree 100%.

Some books even recommend them as they supposedly introduce nuts to the baby and help build their tolerance to them!

I feel like going to eat a bag of salty nuts now just to be a rebel :moon:

Sherlock said:
I know a Mum posted here who didn't eat one peanut when PG and her child has an allergy to them. :)

I remember that!! Yes, she completely avoided nuts throughout her entire pregnancy...

xx

nickilubs said:
claireyfairey said:
HideiLu said:

Lol that really does sound nice! I love chocolate Brazil nuts oooooo and sugar almonds!!! Ooooo and yougart coated nuts!!!

Ooooh I want some yogurt covered raisins now!!! x

Yep, that was probably me. When I was pregnant with my son, I was advised not to eat peanuts at all so I avoided them completely. As a result, my son got a peanut allergy! He only had a teeny, tiny bit of peanut butter on the end of his finger and his face and mouth swelled up like a balloon. It was so scary, he could barely see and his breathing was terrible. Thankfully he reacted well to some piriton and the swelling came down fairly quickly. He has since grown out of the allergy, which we were told he might, as he was still quite young when the peanut incident happened, so thats a relief, but needless to say, with this pregnancy I am eating anything and everything I want! And yes, that includes runny eggs! Dont get me wrong, its all in moderation, and Im not risking things that they know to be harmful, like unpasteurised stuff, pate, alcohol etc, but in my opinion your child needs to be exposed to these things to build up an immunity to them so eat away!!

lisa282 said:
Yep, that was probably me.

O I am pleased to hear he has grown out of the allergy. Such a relief for you.

And good on you for eating things in moderation. Like you I am eating runny eggs, peanuts and a few other things they advise to not eat. I am a great believer in exposure in the womb helps build immunity once outside it.

I've avoided the pate and liver etc, because of the vitamin A risk, but a lot of other foods just don't make sense to avoid totally.

How can you lot always make me hungry for things i dont even like, i mean i open the thread n i start off oww ewww, wut r u lot thinking and now all i can think about is hazlenut chocolate spread on breadsticks and pub nuts :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back