MIDNA

Hiya,

Just noticed that you're now down to "double figures" -congratulations!!!!!
:clap: :dance: :clap: You're well on the way now, young lady! :D

Hope you're keeping well.

xxxx

Great scan picture - so big and clear! And nice snog too :D It's ages since I had a snog :( But I'm glad someone's still having big, slobbery kisses from their partner :D
xxx

Thanks for the vote of confidence and for what you said about the name on my ticker. I'm not calling my baby "Bryani" though - it's just a made up nickname from before I got pregnant that's stuck. My little boy wants to call the baby Franz (don't know why, perhaps after Franz Ferdinand?). and my little girl strangely likes Francesca or Fiona (after the lady ogre in Shrek!). I'm just not going with this 'F' theme of theirs....

I'm not convinced by that sexing scan at all, that's one of the reasons I want another scan - well, that and to see the baby again for reassurance. Now, I'm worried that I didn't have the AFP blood tests or nuchal fold test/scan or anything. I didn't realise that the mother's age at the baby's birth (not at conception) was the one they counted. I'll be 35 when the baby's due, which puts me into the higher risk bracket...ach, I suppose it's natural to worry...

Have you thought of any names yet? Any thoughts on what you might be having?

But that doesn't make sense! The reason that you're more at risk when you're over 35 is because your eggs are older. As your eggs age, the chromosomes contained within are more liable to become 'sticky'. That's why a baby gets Downs because, during whichever process it is (meiosis or mytosis, I can never remember which) the 'sticky' chromosome gets stuck and s/he has 3 no 21 chromosomes instead of the usual pair. So, to me, it would make more sense for the conception age to be a problem. I can't understand why it would be more problematic at birth.

Allie,

I would agree with you that's the more common-sense approach (and why I thought the cut-off age was 35 at conception). I don't know why it's the case, but I've read lately that it's 35 at the expected date of delivery.

My gran had babies into her 40s and was okay and (here I go again, touch wood!) there's no family history of any abnormalities, but I think that it's natural to worry about the baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back