Maybe a stupid question, but I have to ask!

KeLe101

Reaction score
I know this sounds really daft, but I can't get my head round the fact that ladies can pin point when they ovulate and then BD all around the time of ovulation but, still not get pregnant - surely, if you are ovulating and your man deposits his little swimmers then it should be easy....? Am I missing something, is it really not that simple?! I know I sound stupid but I just don't get it!!!

Even if the sperm finds the egg and fertilises it, there's actually only a 25%-ish chance that the blastocyst successfully implants.

Thank you again Melissa - you are soooooo useful on this forum!! I absolutely did not know that!! It makes me feel a bit better, because I was kind of assuming that if I am ovulating, and I think I am, then why am I not managing to get pregnant. It must be down to good timing and luck. One day hopefully we'll all get it spot on. :hug: :hug:

I'm glad I read this post as clearly I'm not even a little clued up on how it works. I should have paid more attention in biology instead of doodling in my homework diary and day dreaming about my latest crush!

I've noticed that Melissa is really useful as well! :D

You guys are so sweet and you make me laugh :D There is a LOT of information in my head and it just feels good to put it down in words. I've been trying to figure out my body for a few years now and have been gathering info and doing all kinds of research into the reproductive system, mainly because I have PCOS and am treating it naturally. It's nice to be able to help!

Ha, Noodles, I was the same!
I thought it was just going to be a case of coming off the pill and bang, BFP. How wrong was I? I didn't even realise that you could only get pregnant a few days of the month :oops: :oops: We spent most of our biology watching frogs mate...it was gross and obviously taught me nothing about the real world!!! It's mad when I think how long I have spent trying to not get pregnant and now it's the most important thing ever! One day....I hope! :pray: :pray: :pray:

melissa5317 said:
It's nice to be able to help!

You definitely do help! :hug: I have my 21 day blood results back next week and I've got a feeling I may have PCOS too - I have irregular (and very light) periods, I have noticed funny black hairs on the back of my thighs and a few little ones near my bellybutton :oops: plus, my opk's are often positive and I know that's a sign too. If I do have PCOS I may have to ask several more hundred questions....hope you don't mind too much!!

Thanks again, you're a great help. :hug:

KeLe101 said:
melissa5317 said:
It's nice to be able to help!

You definitely do help! :hug: I have my 21 day blood results back next week and I've got a feeling I may have PCOS too - I have irregular (and very light) periods, I have noticed funny black hairs on the back of my thighs and a few little ones near my bellybutton :oops: plus, my opk's are often positive and I know that's a sign too. If I do have PCOS I may have to ask several more hundred questions....hope you don't mind too much!!

Thanks again, you're a great help. :hug:

I don't mind at all, hon - I really like being able to impart wisdom. :lol: There's lots of stuff you can do to help your body behave normally even if you don't end up having PCOS, but I'll spare you from the verbal diarrhoea until you really want to know. :hug:

Ha, thanks very much - I'll let you know how I get on....and maybe then start picking your brains! x :hug:

And don't forget that sometimes the sperm don't make it there, the CM might be too gloopy or too alkaline, the sperm that eventually does fertilise the egg might be a bit mutated or otherwise dodgy... And then that combination of genes for that particular fertilised egg might result in huge problems, basic cell mechanisms not being switched on...

The egg might not erupt properly from the zona pellucida (which it has to do to implant) and if it does the mother's immune system might not have been suppressed enough and it might attack the naked blastocyst...

Then there's implantation: the endometrium might not be thick enough, the luteal phase might be too short and the woman comes on before it has a chance to implant, even then the cells might still not be dividing properly. Different genes getting switched on at different times and you might not get a problem until days or weeks down the line.

God when you look at all that it's a wonder anyone get pregnant at all!!!

Mrs Misery-Guts eh? :lol:

Hi I agree it all seems a bit hit and miss! When I was TTC with baby no. 1 I was aware that it may be hard to conceive as I have bad endometriosis so I was really careful about mapping my cycles with ovulation kits etc. For 7 months we were at it like bunnies :oops: on and around my exact ovulation date and no baby :wall: The 8th month we decided to take a break from trying as we were getting really stressed and I was actually away visiting friends over the wk and a half I was apparently at my "fertile" peak. Well hey presto that was the month I got PG! I think it had a lot to do with the fact that OH and I weren't so stressed and just enjoyed ourselves. It's just so bizarre that we only got a chance to have sex twice that month as I was away and then went on a business trip for a wk! So in my opinion I think it's important to stay relaxed and don't get stressed with the whole thing. I think stress and worry can have negative effects on TTC.

Oh and for baby no. 2 I am not going to be so stressed out with ovulation kits and just going to enjoy all the rumpy pumpy! :rotfl: When it happens it happens!

Wow buddabun, when you put it like that it really does make sense on why it's not quite as simple as just getting jiggy at the right time of the month! Really useful info - thanks very much.

KJL - I think you are defo right about stress being a big factor. I had an early miscarriage in September but I got pregnant by BD'ing on the first day after finishing AF - my cycles were all over the place, I think because of the pill, but when I did the deed that day, I didn't for one minute think that I would be ovulating and so there was no pressure. When I get my blood results back I hope I will relax because I will know one way or another if there is a problem and I can stop speculating on whether or not I am back ovulating etc.

This may be tmi but hope it's helpful...the big difference for us this month was that we didn't bd right from last months ov to this months ov, we only bd'd twice and the first time the sperm was lumpy. I thought it was very strange but I googled it and apparently this type of sperm is best and only created when left for a long time! I always thought that the more bding you did the better chance you had. For me this is not the case! I was shocked when I got a BFP :)

Good luck

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back