• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How much would you pay for hand knitted items?

Rosieroo

Reaction score
I was admiring a cardigan that a baby was wearing from my m&b group. It was a lovely purple one, with tight knit and a pretty ribbon trim. I couldn't believe it when the mum said that her mum had knitted it! So far my experience of hand knitted items have been the big wooly cardies with 'loose' knit (that's the only way I can describe them!).

How much would you pay for a hand knitted cardy? They are a lot nicer than the ones in the shops and I would pay a little bit more for something that is different. Just to stress that it isn't a big fat wooly one iykwim!

Her mum is going to knit a pink one, work out how much it costs her in time and materials and then I am going to try and sell it for her. But I'm not sure how much people would pay. I'd happily pay around £12-£15 for one as it's something that Ella could wear like a light coat. But am not sure whether you'd consider this reasonable or not?

i think thats a good price as its about £15for a cardigan from next. but if its hand knitted it will be differnet that no one else will have a lady i work with has knitted 3 for Harley they are lovely and every one comments on them and asks where i got them from :)
going to be asking her to knit some for Dior too

It takes me about 30 hours to knit a fine knit, patterned baby cardy, a good knitter probably about 15 hours. If you take the hourly rate at £5, it would come to £75 plus cost of wool. At £12 - £15, she better enjoy knitting because it wouldn't be paying for her time :wink:

That's the prob - I think that the cardy I saw is gorgeous - but am not sure what people would pay :? I'd say a max of £20. I suppose all I can do is try and sell it at the price she suggests.

She knits in her spare time in the evenings. I think it takes her about 5 days to do.

I love knitted stuff, I tired knitting myself when I was pg, made some booties (which she never worn but in her keepsake box) and half a blanket and half a scarf! Id pay thatlittle bit extra becuase they are nice and there long lasting and seem to grow with baby! I have a cardigan which ella wore when she was newborn and just about fits her now.

It really depends, i have some very unique things knitted for Jess by dh's gran and they get commented on all the time. I would pay up to £20.

I love purple, can you post a picture?

my nans friend knitted me a massive baby shawl for matthew apparently she can do them in a matter of days, its lovely and the wool only cost he a fiver i would have paid over £30 quid for it but she didnt want any money but i think it depends on the finish if they are nice then upto 20 quid if shes got nothing better to do with her time and can do them quickly then she could make herself a fair bit of cash

I love purple, can you post a picture?
She's making a pink one that I can take pics of when I get it. Or I can see if Maisie is wearing the purple one again next week and take a pic then for you :)

ta much. I love wee knitted things. I can knit myself but im resigned to doing scarfs. OOOOOhhh, im going to start a knitting thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salata Sara
Back