Getting down about this now,

TundraOwl

Reaction score
Was diagnosed with gestational diabetes last week, had my consultant appointment yesterday have been monitoring my blood sugar levels. Was told if I get 2 results over 8 in a fortnight then they have to give me tablets and if I get a result over 10 to ring them asap. And lo and behold an hour after breakfast (OJ, tea no sugar, small bowl of grape nuts no sugar) all things I've been told I can eat, it was 10.1! :shock: rang the clinic and might have to go in today if my result after lunch is high as well as they want to start me on tablets asap.
Getting really annoyed with this, have been told not to cut out carbs completely as bump needs them but its the only way to get my blood sugar down, really not sure what to do!
Any one any advice or ideas, sorry just having a bit of a moan. They have taken blood to check if I'm genetically prone to it as my mum got it when she was 15 months old. Jus scared I'll end up on insulin then it won't go away after LO arrives.
Thanks for all the support so far guys, this forum is really a life saver..

Oh honey, what a bugger. So sorry u r going through this. I am no expert at all but isn't OJ high in sugars/carbs so not great for diabetics? Maybe cut out the juice or switch to water and OJ mixed or diet squashes? What happened after lunch? Bloods settle down? Good luck and keep us posted

Hey hun...I know how you feel...I wasnt even given the choice to monitor I was put straight on insulin :( now on 4 x injectons a day :( Im completely and utterly fed up of it now.

I was told that pure fruit juices will spike your blood sugar level..so you may want to just mix it with water next time.

I feel for you I really do as I am going through the same.. I have been told that because my levels are soo high and quite difficult to control that I will most probably get a permanent diagnosis 6 weeks after baby :(

Im still getting levels around 14 hun if thats anything to go by xx

Sorry to hear things aren't going too well... I've recent,y been diagnosed with GD too, but seem to be controlling it with diet so far.
I tend to have things like scrambled / poached eggs on wholegrain toast with mushrooms and tomatoes for breakfast, or bacon, tomatoes and a little bit of hummus on wholegrain toast. My consultant told me that juices were really out for diabetics, but I could have 2/3 pieces of fresh fruit a day, so I tend to have apples / pears or oranges as part of my snacks. I've pretty much cut out anything with sugar in it, biscuits, cakes, jams, desserts, juices, fizzy drinks, choccies etc.... All the fun stuff essentially :), but I have to say I don't miss them now. If I really get a sweet craving and I've had my fruit for the day, I find ww jelly with diet vanilla yoghurt ( just make sure the sugar content in the yoghurt is very very low) is a good fix.

Switching to low fat milk, dairy spreads, cheeses etc is also a big help..and exercise, even a 20 minute walk will make a big difference to your levels.

I'm still on a learning curve with this, but all we can do is our best, we can't do anymore than follow the guidelines we've been given, it's up to our bodies after that, so don't feel bad - you're doing everything you can x

Hi guys, aww jaxx, poor thing, hope you can get sorted, have cut out fruit juices now, or diluting with water, but have to have one small glass of OJ as it has my iron supplement in it. Could probs mix with water but been told to put it in OJ as the vitamin C helps absorb the iron (apparently??)
Glad your managing to control yours with diet Iriki, its a pain, if I eat anything with carbs in at all then my blood sugar goes up, had a mushroom omlette for my lunch and bloods were better (7.2) but because I got 2 results above 8 yesterday and because of the 10.1 this morning they've put me on metphormin (sp?) 500mg twice a day. Got to go back to the clinic on Tuesday and see how I get on. Hoping it makes a difference.
Will keep you all posted, hope you guys get it under control as well. Its a pain isnt it! I'm not used to making sure I eat regularly and then clock watching to test blood etc... we're self emplyed so sometimes have lunch late etc... but been told to try and eat at regular times so it's easier to predict my sugar levels etc.... been a real lifestyle change for me. I'm also the only one who likes whole meal bread etc... in the house, so at the mo we have none, need to go shopping but don't get any money in til tomorrow. :( having to shop for me seperately to everyone else.. depressing again :(
Sorry having a moan, just a bit fed up, cant imagine how you're feeling Jaxx :hugs:

Think you've hit the nail on the head TundraOwl, it's a real lifestyle change...and it stands to reason that it's going to take a while for us to get our heads around it and get things under control.
All we can do is stick with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back