freezing soup

mum2A&L

Reaction score
Ive made a HUGE vat of chicken and veg soup for dinner. Ive kinda made enough to last months :oops:

Good thing though it alice LOVES it :dance: I really want to eat loads cause its so yummy, but ive eaten a bit and i feel icky. still, the bit ive had was yummy :D

anyway, the reason for my post - Im going to freeze it - is there anything i need to bear in mind? Ive got some plastic pots with lids, i was just going to put them in there and put them in the freezer. Do i need to consider anything? Its got cooked chicken in it - is it a problem to freeze cooked chicken?

Also, when i want to defrost it, do i just leave it out and then heat it? :think:

Iv put cooked chicken in the freezer before and ate it i think you just need to make sure its defrosted and heated properly after. :)

i can do the next best thing - i can post the recipe:

Ingredients (serves 6)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 leek, halved, washed, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 large carrot, peeled, diced
2 sticks celery, diced
2 small zucchini, diced
1 swede or turnip, peeled, diced
1 1/4 cups dry soup mix, rinsed (see note)
8 cups chicken stock
1kg skinless chicken lovely legs
Method
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add leek and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until soft but not coloured. Add carrot, celery, zucchini and swede. Cook for 2 minutes. Stir in soup mix, stock, chicken and 1 cup cold water. Increase heat to high. Bring to the boil.
Reduce heat to low. Simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or until soup mix and vegetables are tender.
Remove chicken legs from soup. Allow to cool slightly. Remove meat from bones. Roughly chop chicken meat and add to soup. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into warmed bowls. Serve.

But i forgot to buy zucchini (courgette) so i left it out. But i had a tin of sweetcorn so i put that in :D

Yeh it shouldnt be any problem freezing it just make sure its cooled before putting it in the freezer and when u want to eat it again take it out mayb the nite before and leave it in the fridge to defrost and then make sure u heat it all through before eating it, sounds yummy by the way i might pinch the recipe too if you dont mind

I *think* you have to eat frozen meats within something like 3 months

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back