Foods to avoid?

x-kirsty-x

Reaction score
Right, Im a bit confused by what we can eat and what we cant in pregnancy...

Eggs - we can eat them only if its hard boiled or something, as long as the yolk isn't soft?

Fish - yes or no? :?

Sandwich spreads? I read somewhere that you should avoid it?

Spready cheese?

I know about all the rest that we definitely cant have but Im stuck with these! Im sorry if I sound really stupid :?

You don;t sound stupid at all hun, the amount of do's and don'ts its easy to get confused.

Heres my verdict:

Cheese spread is fine hun....things like Dairylea and the likes, as its processed.

Eggs are fine as long as the white and the yolk is cooked (solid) its raw and undercooked eggs you need to steer clear of.

Fish is ok as long as its cooked, so sushi is off the menu. It is recommended to steer clear of swordfish, shark, marlin and prawns. Limit Tuna to 2 medium cans or one fresh steak per week. (The concern is mercury that can be found in certain fish).

Hope this helps :hug: x

yeh i agree with what emmylou said.

i think the soft cheese the mean is the ones in between cheddar types and spreadable types :lol:

mw said i could eat as much fresh salmon and trout as i wanted as its oily fish

I was just wondering about the fish cos I had a fillet o fish burger at macdonalds the other day then I sat there thinking 'hmmm should I have ate that?' lol!

And we got a chinese last night and I wasnt sure if the rice was ok cos it was egg fried rice.... :lol:

Honestly, you'd think id never been pregnant before! :roll:

Thanks for your help :D

also avoid homemade mayonaise so if you eat out in a reastaurant you need to ask about it.

nuts also if you have a nut allergy in yours or your partners family although my m/w has told me to avoid them regardless most have been told only if in your family.

also no liver coz of high vit A content

hiya kirsty, :wave: Cat&noah Wrote on previous post......

I just got this info from the Food Standards Aency Website

Is it OK to eat sushi when I'm pregnant?
It’s fine to eat sushi when you’re pregnant as long as any raw fish used to make it has been frozen beforehand. This is because occasionally fish contains small worms, which could make you ill if they are still alive when you eat the fish. Freezing kills worms and makes raw fish safe to eat.

Lots of the sushi sold in shops is bought in already made, not made at the shop. This type of sushi should be fine to eat, because if a shop or restaurant buys in ready-made sushi, the raw fish used to make it must have been frozen at minus 20°C for at least 24 hours.

But if a shop or restaurant makes its own sushi on the premises, the fish might not have been frozen. If you’re concerned, ask the staff.

If you make your own sushi at home, freeze the fish for at least 24 hours before using it.

I've heard that pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid some types of fish. Why is this?
You can eat most types of fish when you're pregnant or breastfeeding. Eating fish is good for your health and the development of your baby. But you should avoid some types of fish and limit the amount you eat of some other types.

When you're pregnant or planning to get pregnant, you shouldn't eat shark, swordfish or marlin. You should also limit the amount of tuna you eat to no more than two tuna steaks (weighing about 140g when cooked, or 170g raw) or four medium-size cans of tuna a week (with a drained weight of about 140g per can).

This is because these fish contain more mercury than other types of fish. The amount of mercury we get from food isn't harmful for most people, but if you take in high levels of mercury when you're pregnant this could affect your baby's developing nervous system. When you're breastfeeding you don't need to avoid shark, swordfish or marlin, or limit the amount of tinned tuna you eat.

When you're pregnant, you should generally avoid having more than two portions of oily fish a week, such as salmon, trout, mackerel and herring, because it can contain pollutants such as dioxins and PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls).

Remember that fresh tuna is an oily fish, so if you eat two fresh tuna steaks in one week, you shouldn't eat any other oily fish that week. Tinned tuna doesn't count as oily fish, so you can eat this on top of the maximum of two portions of oily fish (as long as it's not fresh tuna or swordfish). But remember not to eat more than four medium-sized cans of tinned tuna a week when you're pregnant or trying to get pregnant.

There is no need to limit the amount of white fish you eat when you're pregnant or breastfeeding, apart from shark and marlin.
_________________ Cloud9 and our Emmylou are SPOT ON!
:clap: :clap:
The soft cheese is the fancy stuff like french brie, etc... as for sandwiches... avoid anything made with mayo as you don't know if it is "processed" or not.. processing kills the bacteria that can cause foodpoison...... Something i got just before my bean died..... you can never be too careful.... if in doubt leave it out...
:dance: Leaves loads of nice things for eating......... be healthy and enjoy :hug: Sorry it's a long post but i hope it answers your question? Lv Yvonne xx :hug: :hug: :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back