Email scams (how stupid are some people)

Urchin

Reaction score
Seriously, how stupid do you need to be to fall for this kind of things, I just got this

"Due to resent fraud attempts on your National
Westminster Online Access. We have come
to secure your online banking access and prevent
you from scam and its fraud activities. To proceed
click on INTERNET BANKING (that was a link) to continue

Thank you for your patience.
Sincerely, National Westminster Bank Plc, Customer Service"

thats all the email said...and people fall for this stuff!!!

I'm almost inclined to say people who fall for these stupid little scams deserve to have their money taken!
Especially those "dear sir/madam, I am chairman of a west african oil company and I need you help" ones.

:roll:

i get a lot of these and just delete them.. but i agree some ppl do fall for them :?

Yeah I keep getting them from the Royal Bank of Scotland (apparantly) saying I need to click a link to complete my loan application, ive never even used them let alone applied for a loan :lol:

There was one day I had emails from Halifax, Natwest, RBOS, and a whole load of banks I hadn't even heard of... hedging their bets I suppose that I was registered with one of them.

The fools.

I think the worst ones are the paypal/ebay ones. Some of them are very real looking. But anyone with any sort of internet sense, or general common sense, should realise they're not right.

Yeah cos I sold an american car in dollars and didn't post it... whatever... :roll:

did you see that on tv where some idiot sent £10,000 to spain to claim back £2 million because they won spanish lottery? they didnt even put a ticket on and they wanted to tell people how easy it is to fall for these scams. huh? who sends £10,000 to somewhere to get money they know they didnt win??

I get emails all the time saying they need my bank details and im some ones next of kin in india. :?

Yeah, i keep getting them from banks i'm not even with either :roll:

i get loads from various banks..I agree the ebay ones you need to look closer... I had egg phone me up asking for details for security i said i would ring them back if they wanted that info

better safe than sorry

cloud9 said:
i get loads from various banks..I agree the ebay ones you need to look closer... I had egg phone me up asking for details for security i said i would ring them back if they wanted that info

better safe than sorry

That reminds me, we had a voicemail from lloyds tsb asking us to call a number, which we did, and it was an automated system asking for our credit card details. We hung up and called a number we know to be lloyds and asked them about it, apprantly its something they do when your credit card payment is due. We usually pay a week in advance but hadnt this time. We made sure they knew how dodgy it sounded and never to use that method with us again lol

Fortunately my junk mail filter is very good, so I can just delete them without even reading the wretched thing.

The trick with eBay & PayPal is to check whether it's addressed to you by name. If it isn't, then it's not from them. Plus, they will NEVER ask you for your log in details in an official email. If you are ever in any doubt the best thing is to log in to the the site independently of any link in the email and double check.

If you do get any dodgy eBay/PayPal emails then they do like you to report them. I can't remember the address offhand, but it's something like [email protected] or equivalent. It helps to get rid of the phishers.

It astounds me, though, how many people fall for these things given how long they've been going and how much information there is about good internet security etc.

I once received a phonecall from "BT" and they said that before they could proceed, they need me to confirm some personal details. Duh! They're the ones who phoned me, they should have all my details on record already! I refused to divulge any information and ended the call.

I had a paypal one once & the verification code at the bottom that they wanted you to enter to 'confirm' they were a genuine email (asking for my bank account pin number :roll: to hold alongside my card details) was:
n1cetry

as if :roll:

OopsyDaisy said:
I once received a phonecall from "BT" and they said that before they could proceed, they need me to confirm some personal details. Duh! They're the ones who phoned me, they should have all my details on record already! I refused to divulge any information and ended the call.

Too right aswell! :lol:

AllieW said:
The trick with eBay & PayPal is to check whether it's addressed to you by name. If it isn't, then it's not from them. Plus, they will NEVER ask you for your log in details in an official email. If you are ever in any doubt the best thing is to log in to the the site independently of any link in the email and double check.

If you do get any dodgy eBay/PayPal emails then they do like you to report them. I can't remember the address offhand, but it's something like [email protected] or equivalent. It helps to get rid of the phishers.

It's [email protected] and [email protected] and they send you a reply after evaluating it to let you know that it really was spoof.

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cm ... of-outside

http://pages.ebay.com/education/spooftu ... index.html

He he this reminds me of Fonejacker - has anyone seen it?

"There is a pigeon in your bank account sir, if we could just have you account number and sortcode so we can get it out..."

HappyAlice said:
He he this reminds me of Fonejacker - has anyone seen it?

"There is a pigeon in your bank account sir, if we could just have you account number and sortcode so we can get it out..."

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Natwest wrote me a letter to my house saying they would be sending a card reader in a few weeks to tighten the security for internet banking :?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back