Educating children about food

Babylicious

Reaction score
Paris's sperm donor father is obese and when she used to stay with him he fed her all sorts of food when she wanted. Mainly fast food and things, but even fruit he would give her a lot.

Anyhow as a result of this she has a bad attitude to food, she constantly says she's love to eat and it's her favourite thing to do blah blah. Today we had some lunch in town and not five minuites later she was asking for a hot dog. Sean said to her that she'll get fat if she eats too much and she said she wants to be fat. :(

I really need some advice how to educate her when it comes to food as I don't want her to become fat.

forget fat - educate her to be fit - start teaching her about vitamins and 5 a day etc - set up a wall chart showing each day that's she's had her 5 a day, a calcium food, an iron food, a fibre food etc. Does she enjoy routine with having aspergers? She may enjoy ticking off her chart each day :D

Then add an exercise bit - most children can eat an amazing amount of food (so long as it's not all junk) so long as they exercise.

Get her skipping or walking, trampolining or skating and try to build in 30 minutes a day (even if its skating home from school). Also buy a good cookery book for children - they tend to focus round healthy food.

Get her interested in where food comes from - a visit to a farm or growing her own veg. There's nothing wrong with loving food - but try to edge her towards the right food. We have no junk in the house - only a pack of 5 cookies Josh has each week. We've never bought sweets (he has them off nan occasionally :roll: ) We buy shed loads of yogurts tho :D

We've always avoided "fat" conversations with Josh although it's still come up (even boys have this problem nowadays) Instead we focused on packed lunches with diff flavours, explained the need for a little cheese or milk each day and exercise - it took a while to find what suited him (skating and running - he dislikes teams) He's cooked for years - and we built in the idea of treats being a little of something they love.

ahem - sorry this is so long - it's my pet subject :rotfl: I got my picky niece and nephew eating veg when they wouldn't for anyone else :wink:

Get her to help with making the dinner too - can she grow stuff like tomatoes in the garden?

Just wait till they start learning it in school... then you get the polava of the questions...

Is milk healthy? Yes..

and is cheese healthy? yes in the right amounts...

So if milk and cheese is healthy, is ice cream healthy? no...

But why, it comes from cow willies too( :rotfl: Don't ask!!! But my DH had a tail for a long time)..

Are tomatoes healthy? Yes.. is tomato sauce healthy? No, but it has tomatos in it... ???

So then you get on to reading ALL the bloody ingredients out to her and explaining why this one or that one makes the food unhealthy..

And you just don't care, because she still eats McDonalds and never asks if THAT is healthy... nooooo

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Just stick the food on the plate... If she doesn't eat it, she goes hungry... If she does then great healthy food... :cheer: I find giving a kid an option in what they eat is a mistake... they get one meal...and it's what I eat... if she doesn't like it tough. She's not able to make the decisions over which food is a healthy one and which one isn't. Sometimes we eat unhealthy food, but all food is unhealthy if you eat too much of it..

Thanks Girls :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

She's just got this mega obsession at the moment about eating all the time and she wants large portions and creates :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back