Does anyone know any really horrible books...

Seriously. We have to do Yeats or Frost instead. That's my school for you, bless them. :roll:

*has been told by kazlin to post because i read Far to much and work with books*

In no perticular order..

Clockwork Orange (Anthony Burgess)
In this nightmare vision of a not-too-distant future, fifteen-year-old Alex and his three friends rob, rape, torture and murder - for fun. Alex is jailed for his vicious crimes and the State undertakes to reform him - but how and at what cost?

DaVinci Code.
The obsessive behaviours this bok has caused in people is astonishing, people actually beleiving half of the carp that its plaguerising author spouts makes me wonder why it's so popular.. it's terrible writing style and major plot holes remind me of jk rowling (pet hate :lol: )

Starship Troopers (Robert A. Heinlein)
It is told through the eyes of Starship Trooper Johnny Rico, from his idealistic enlistment in the infantry of the future, through his rigorous training to the command of his own platoon of infantrymen. His destiny is a galactic war of unlimited violence and destruction, in which he and his fellow troopers scour the metal-strewn emptiness of space to hunt down a terrifying enemy - an insect life form which threatens the very future of mankind.
What the synopsis Doesnt tell you is the socio-political uproar that followed the book after it was released.
Its a book about the horrors of war performed by man after he has been essentially brainwashed in to beleiving the propaganda which was reminiscant of both 'nam and ww2.
The book Still to this day causes arguements regarding its subversive nature.

Stranger in a Strange Land (also by Heinlein)
Epic, ambitious and entertaining, "Stranger in a Strange Land" caused controversy and uproar when it was first published. Still topical and challenging today, the story of Valentine Michael Smith, the first man from Mars to visit Earth, is in the great tradition of stories that endure through the power of the author's imagination that stretches from Gulliver's Travels to 1984.

Messiah (Borris Starling)
A stunning, shocking, wonderfully well written debut reminiscent of James Patterson and one that will catapault Boris Starling to the front rank of thriller writers. London is in the grip of a heatwave: airless days, strange steamy nights and a killer stalking the streets. Wealthy men are being murdered to some mysterious pattern, with no clues left behind, only corpses with silver spoons in place of their tongues...Set against this merciless butcher is DCI Red Metcalfe, an investigator with a celebrated ability to get under the skin and into the minds of the deranged killers he hunts. But as the city swelters and the body count rises, Red's own tortured past begins to turn against him -- and the city is safe for no one. Sometimes, it is said, it takes a killer to catch a killer...The most compelling and suspenseful British thriller to come along in years, and Boris Starling is a startling and powerful talent to watch. Messiah is guaranteed to haunt your dreams...
Again, what the synopsis doesnt say is that the book is as visceral as an abbatoir. The killings (and their after effects) are rendered in great detail. Considered by many to be superior to the Silence of the Lambs series.

Anything by Richard Montanari (Rosary Girls, Skin Gods & Broken Angels)
Very similar vein of writing as Starling but by an american author, again the murder scenes are rendered in cold light of day factual "this is what you see" style writing. Not always for the feint of heart..

1984 & Animal Farm by George Orwell
What can be said about these classics that hasnt already been said before? Subversive, Perverse, Pervasive, and a few other things probably ending in "ive".

Other than thatm i agree with the thoughts on American Psycho, Trainspotting & Hellbound Heart (from where clive barker went on to the rest of the Hellraiser series and films that were subsequently spawned).

You should join the book club Nick! :D

Yes, and would you like to do my coursework as well? :lol: that's absolutely brilliant, thanks!

some of katsuhiro otomo's novels are quite desturbing in an unusual way. my boyf's got loads of them he loves them

lou said:
You should join the book club Nick! :D

Much as i might love to, i'm very picky about which books i read.
It's great being surrounded by books and dvd's and such all day, but i'm a bit of a creature of habit, and i'd find myself screaming at many authors about plot holes or historical inacuracies or misconceptions.

I'd write more myself but time is not my freind.
And i'm a very heavy typer (jackhammer + machine gun + keyboard = my typing style), ask kazlin, she'll tell you..

zebrastripes said:
Yes, and would you like to do my coursework as well? :lol: that's absolutely brilliant, thanks!

Noooooooooooo i have enough on my plate as it is with other things i run (sort of murder mystery evenings but a bit more savage & political) and that involves me chaining myself to the computer (of its such a chore.. :lol: ) to write plot and things for people..

trixipaws said:
some of katsuhiro otomo's novels are quite desturbing in an unusual way. my boyf's got loads of them he loves them

The author of Akira if i'm not mistaken..
Again, a Very politcal book, it certainly makes you woder what the writer went through in his youth to have produced such a book/comic & film such as that..

What about Lord of the Flies?

Quite disturbing :shock:

*EDIT* ooo or more modern day....Battle Royale :shock:

Great film :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member