Climbing Ladders

FirstBabyEek

Reaction score
Morning lovely ladies!

I work in construction and carry out house surveys. I'm under considerable pressure from a lady (she's not my boss) at my work to continue doing surveys, which makes up part of my workload, not all however.

The thing is, I'm worried about doing a survey as it means lugging a large reasonably heavy ladder around and also climbing it. I'm less bothered about climbing it, but I am bothered about carrying it and moving it into postion to look at roofs or loft spaces.

Am I being unreasonable if I say no? Can I get into trouble? Does anyone know of any guidence notes on the use of ladders when pregnant?

Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble, but she really upset me with her unthoughtful comments about 'well the business wont make any money if you dont' :-(

Any advice on how to tackle this would be gratefully recieved.

xx

id say you have every right to refuse, have you been giving a risk assesment by your employer?
they should find you other things to do, first thing i was told at my work place is NO ladders!
hope you get it sorted soon :) xx

At the end of the day, you need to put yourself and your baby first - you don't want to risk harming him/her! Why don't you talk to your boss? Have you had a risk assessment done? I'm a carer, and pregnant women at my place aren't even allowed to go shopping with our service users because of lifting the bags! Hope you sort it out soon :)

Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate it. They havent done a risk assessment, I didnt realise that they had to.

I agree, I need to put my LO first and two hoots to what they think really, they might not like it. I just wondered if they could give me a disciplinary if I refuse? I dont see how but I've checked on google and dont see any specific H&S notes on working at heights for pregnant ladies...
xx

Yes they need to do a risk assesment not too long after you tell them you are pregnant. In the meantime, pop along to your doctor who will write you a note to put you on lighter duties. They can't argue with the doctor now can they :) x

Yeah you must have a risk assessment done. I think under health and safety grounds you shouldn't be climbing ladders or lugging them around. You aren't supposed to carry any heavy items and your blood pressure can drop leading you to have spells of light headedness - if that happened whilst you we are the top of a ladder, it doesn't bear thinking about.

Thanks for your replies, its really settled my worries. I think I'm just upset by her attitude.

Also spoken to OH and they dont allow pregnant ladies to lift or climb ladders at any stage where he works and his job is not too dissimlar to mine.

Thanks once again - I'm so grateful for this forum - really makes such a difference xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back