boyf had fit earlier :(

trixipaws

Reaction score
i'm supposed to be in work today but my boyf had an epileptic fit at 4am- it was very frightening especially as millie was in bed with us at the time! they really take it out of ya so he's gonna be extremely tired and a bit disoriented today (his back hurts too so may have to go hosp) so i gotta look after millie. not that i mind! i much prefer this to work anyway! does anyone kno what happens re. work in these situations? is it classed as parental leave? will they decuct from my annual holiday allowance? if not and they let me have it extra will i get paid? not sure where i stand :think:

You should be able to apply for special leave hun, you might need to write a letter requesting it, but it shouldn't be a problem if it isn't a regular occurence.

Hope your boyf is ok!

:hug: :hug: :hug:

My ex used to suffer for them really bad, I didnt have any children so cant advise you on what will happen for taking the day off as I just used to call in and explain and used to take the day off as sick. Its horrible to have to witness if you wanna chat just send me a PM hun :hug: :hug:

How scary hope he's ok :hug:

My hubby has been off work looking after our son while I've been poorly and his employer has given him paid leave. Hopefully your boss will be good too :hug:

I'm not sure bout the work side of things but hope he is ok, and you to hun :hug:

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

my fiance is epileptic too. it is very scary. he had his first fit 4 days after we began dating- imagine my shock!! im getting used to it now. his whole family suffer from it so i have seen a fair few fits now. although we dont have children (yet!) it is highly likely our children will suffer from it too. i usually just call in sick. make sure he gets plenty of sleep. it helps afterwards if they have 'slept it off'. PM me if you want anymore advice. i'll be happy to help xx

I think you said you work for RBS? I work for them too and you can get special leave to look after a close relative, my mate just had a week off when her boyfriend had an op so it shouldn't be a problem for just one day.

I don't know if you know but he won't be able to drive now without a doctors note for 2 years I think :hug: My ex has epilepsy also x

thanx for all the hugs everyone! :hug:

mrsbrightside and suzie1011, thanx for the empathy! i wish u didnt have to experience it either, altho i must admit its quite comforting to kno there are others who have to witness it! its quite terrifying isnt it, i totally understand why medieval people used to think people with epilepsy were possessed by devils! thats exactly what its like, their bodies are taken over by demons or something! and its very frightening how confused they are post-fit isnt it! i have to go with him to the bathroom otherwise he would fall down the stairs or try to pee in the wardrobe!

mrsmetal, yes i work for rbs, well remembered! thanx for that :hug:

babylicious, eep i didnt kno that! he's only ever had them in his sleep so it doesnt make him a riskier driver, idk if that counts for anything. but i shall tell him to ask his doc about it and get a note if needed, thanku :hug:

he's much better now (stil nowhere near 100% tho!) he managed to get up at around 10 but he had done his back in and hasnt been able to lift melissa up. he's sleeping now but im gonna see if he'll wake up to watch top 100 scary moments or whatever its called on e4 at 9.

oh and thanx for the work advice, looks like i'll be paid then yay!

trixipaws said:
thanx for all the hugs everyone! :hug:

mrsbrightside and suzie1011, thanx for the empathy! i wish u didnt have to experience it either, altho i must admit its quite comforting to kno there are others who have to witness it! its quite terrifying isnt it, i totally understand why medieval people used to think people with epilepsy were possessed by devils! thats exactly what its like, their bodies are taken over by demons or something! and its very frightening how confused they are post-fit isnt it! i have to go with him to the bathroom otherwise he would fall down the stairs or try to pee in the wardrobe!

mrsmetal, yes i work for rbs, well remembered! thanx for that :hug:

babylicious, eep i didnt kno that! he's only ever had them in his sleep so it doesnt make him a riskier driver, idk if that counts for anything. but i shall tell him to ask his doc about it and get a note if needed, thanku :hug:

he's much better now (stil nowhere near 100% tho!) he managed to get up at around 10 but he had done his back in and hasnt been able to lift melissa up. he's sleeping now but im gonna see if he'll wake up to watch top 100 scary moments or whatever its called on e4 at 9.

oh and thanx for the work advice, looks like i'll be paid then yay!

Its a horrible thing to have to watch more so when its the person you love. My ex used to have most of his either sleeping or first thing in the morning. His was meant to be controlled by tablets Epilim (sodium valproate) but he would get them still and had to give up his license many a time. You never get used to seeing them have a fit and like you say they aren't the same all the next day. I had some horrible moments where he would get up for the loo and have a fit while sat on the loo and would often have black eyes. He also had one while up a ladder and was very very lucky that he never really hurt himself. I was always scared when he got woken up without having the right amount of sleep etc. felt like I was always living on the edge with him and believe thats why he was violent with me alot of time, have been told its common with epileptics.

I did a lot of research about epilepsy when my ex was told that what it was (his didnt start till he was 17 as was cause of the hormonal balance in his brain, his mother also has it) and he used to suffer from grand mal seizure's.

Is your OH on tablets for it?

MrsBrightside said:
Is your OH on tablets for it?

he was, but he stopped taking them a few months ago "as an experiment" :shock: i wasnt pleased when he told me and was threatening to do the same thing with my (contraceptive) pills but he's very headstrong and if he wants to do something he wil jolly well do it, no matter how much i protest.

anyway his reasons for stopping the pills (he was on epilim too) is because he had read that people who had fits who do drugs are not truly epileptic. well we used to do a lot of drugs and he only started getting them around age 17 too which co-incided with drugs and raving. so as we are clean now he thought he didnt need them. and he appeared to be right at first :(

but alas, this has proved that he is in fact epileptic and the fits are not drug-induced :(

he's started taking it again now (epilim not gak! lol)

Daft bugger.... my ex had a problem with taking medication and saying his was epileptic and he didnt tell many which was always a worry for me cause I always believed the more people that knew the more would no panic when he had a fit. His also started at 17 like I said and was believed to be a hormonal change.

He wasnt meant to drink loads and was told to look after himself so the drugs etc prob wouldn't have helped you OH at the time! I as lucky my ex wasnt into drugs but was into his drinking at the weekends which I know was stupid as they used to bring them on.

I do hope hes feeling better and if you ever need to chat about things you know where I am. I delt with them and hospital visits etc for 9 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back