Bad wind - help please!

LucyBee

Reaction score
Tom's got very bad wind.
We are using Dr Brown bottles and Colief but it doesn't seem to be doing the trick. He gets bad hiccups all the time and is drawing his little knees up in pain after every feed. It's really difficult to get him to settle.
Does anyone have any advice?
How long will it last??
Any words of wisdom or reassurance would be great as the old baby blues have kicked in too and I'm finding this really hard.
Thank you! L x

I know it's so hard :hug:

Keep in there, there IS light at the end of the tunnel. It won't be forever (even if it feels that way sometimes)

Have you got a sling? I found my coory sling from brightsparks great for carrying Stanley around when he was upset. It seemed to help settle him a little quicker and saved my arms.

Sorry I can't be more help xxxx

Hey Luce will scan the massage techniques I have to you up in the mean time try these - a couple are simular to what I've been taught -

http://www.annakbabymassage.com/infants ... relief.php

He may not like it at first as you will need to have him naked!!!! :shock: , which baba won't like so maybe try and do it in a really warm place - your bed???
Good luck with the formula, hopefully that may easy the wind a bit, but I guess it's also that he is soooo young still. Just try and catch up on some zzz's so that you are more capable of coping with Tom when he is really distressed. The giong out for a walk is also highly recommended, god knows it helped Oat's to go to sleep enough times, we just had him in his carrier cot out back, MIL use to pace it back and forth untiled he'd zoned out!!!! Giving me a chance to do some sleeping!!! :hug: :hug:
It will get better and I know you're being an awesome mom! Sweet dreams hun... :sleep:

Hi,

don't have any advice about colic I'm afraid but ((hugs)) :hug: . The first few weeks are the hardest, we all understand, and you can do it! Be very nice to yourself, this isn't a time for diets or trying to clean up etc. SLEEP is the most important thing for you right now too so get OH or inlaws or friends to start a sleep tag team if you haven't already and my top tip is earplugs- if it's your hour to sleep then put them in and tune out to whatever is going on!

:sleep: = very good for you!
:hug:
+++

Have you tried infacol? It really works for most babies, it gets better the longer you've used it.

Also I have read that some babies have found relief when they change formula to another brand so its worth trying. Sorry I don't have much knowledge of formula but Leorah was very windy baby and it caused her great pain so I have been on a lot of forums. She still gets hiccups nearly everyday and she hates them. I found that letting her sleep slightly elevated at the head end helped as wind builds up when babies lie down. I co slept until she was 6 weeks because before this she couldn't settle flat on her back.

Please let us know how you get on as with massage, infacol etc it should improve a lot. Unforunately a lot of it is waiting for their immature digestive systems to mature. Is your LO like this all day or just in the evening or at the same time everyday?

Thanks all for your replies.
Skatty - he's like it all day and all night. After every feed we're having trouble settling him because of the wind.
I have an appointment with a cranial osteopath at 5pm. The Health Visitor said it is supposed to help with wind/colic so we will see how that goes.
Ali is going to his nephew's 18th tonight so my Mum is coming to stay the night to help. I'm so anxious about it and can't stop crying.
I think the baby blues have well and truly kicked in and I'm so worried about Tom's wind that it's not helping.
Thanks for listening everyone. It helps so much to be able to come on here.
Lucyx

Hi,

oh- how did the cranial osteopathy go? A great friend of mine is training to do that at the moment and I'm very interested in it, you have to have been practising for years before you can practise on babies though so Mel hasn't had any from her.

It'll be nice to have your mum there tonight, sometimes having someone new with a change of perspective around helps too. I would have been lost without mum those first few weeks. I remember when Mel was three weeks and it was Boxing Day and we went up to stay with mum and dad and as soon as I got there I just burst into tears on my mum's shoulder and wept "when will my baby stop crying?" and she said "well my baby is 31 and she's still crying!".

Hope it all gets easier for you soon hun, get some sleep if you can, it makes such a difference to everything.
:hug:
+++

Awww hun! It's horrid to see you so blue :( , just try take a deep breath and believe it will pass and Tom's wind will get better, just take each day as it comes.
I did come back to post a couple of other things we did with Oats in the beginning, JM noticed that especially during the day Otis slept better on his side and with the sheets tucked fairly tight around him (not swaddled), therefore daddy became known as the 'sandman'! It might be worth a try?? Also after awhile Oats wouldn't settle in his moses basket as it was to noisey everytime he moved hence why we put him in his carrier cot during the day and moved him fairly quickly (around 3 - 4 wks) into his own bed.
Not sure if it will help, but might be worth a try?! Let me know how you get on with the cranio... :hug: :hug:

Hi Lucy, I hope it went well at the cranial osteopath. I have sent you a pm telling you about my experience with Leorah because it sounds so similar but I didn't want to bore everyone with it again :lol:

hi lucy, hope you are doing ok hun,
the 1st few weeks are the hardest i know, have been ther myself 3 times before :D
they are also the best would you believe.
just to say we are all here for you & hope little Tom settles down for you & you get a few hours :sleep:

you & Tom at the moment are only just getting to knoe each other & after a few more weeks all this will be a distant memory- i promise.
a big :hug: from me & Louie.xxx

Please try colosynth granules, they are homeopathic and my midwife told me about them when Charlie was really suffering from bad wind at about a week old. He was like a different baby, they are cucumber based so as you know cucumber makes most people burp. They really are wonderful, i had tried infacol but these were better.

I heard a lot about colocynth too, lots of mums on the forum rave about them :)

You ladies are bloody marvels.
I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW MUCH YOUR MESSAGES HELP! See? I put that in capitals to emphasise the point!
Mum stayed last night as Ali was out for the night. She did the entire night for me so I went to bed at 11pm and woke up at 7.30am! My first proper nights sleep for about 2 months! It was bliss and I feel a bit more human this morning.

Saw the cranio osteopath yesterday. Tom wouldn't lie down without screaming so I held him and she treated him like that. Very weird though as she doesn't APPEAR to be doing anything but she said his neck was very tight and squashed from how he'd been lying in the womb. She also said his left hip was more squashed and this wouldn't help his digestion. She said not to expect a miracle overnight but that we should see some improvement in a couple of days and to go back to see her in a week.

I will let you know how it goes.

HUGE hugs to all of you who have replied. It warms my cockles to know that you care! I know that sounds cheesy but it's true!

Lucyx :hug:

Yay- sleep, sleep, glorious sleep!:dance: Big cheer for your Mum! :clap: The cranio sounds really hopeful doesn't it, wow! let us know what happens :)

+++

I was just looking for some info on colic and came accross this thread. LucyBee, how did Tom get on with the cranial massage? Did it help?
Sam has been getting increasingly worse with his colic over the past month. My midwife recommended cranial massage so I'm taking him tomorrow. I'm really hoping it will help the poor little mite. If anybody has any experience of this please let me know........

Jake had terriblle colic until he was about 8 weeks old. When we started using Infacol it got better so have you tried that?

Hi Gemz

Yes, we use infacol (or it's Swiss equivalent) and I also add fennel tea to his bottle. This helps with the wind pains, but in Sams case, the wind is caused by the crying and not the other way around.

Apparently many babies, particularly those who have had a difficult birth, get colicky because they are stressed.

Sam was what they call a 'stargazer', he was face up when born, and spent a lot of time going back ond forth in the birth canal. According to the osteopath, he has a lot of tension in his neck and accross his forehead, which is why he can't relax, and most probably why he screams so much in the evening.

He's just had his first treatment, and the doctor said it went well. He has to go again on Thursday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it will help to calm him down and sort out the colic.

Lucy, a cranial osteopath sorted Jacob out. We have had exactly the same experience as you. Jacob saw the osteopath 4 times over 8 weeks and after the 3rd session, the change was amazing. Hope you get the same results. PM me if you want to talk :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back