Baby suncream

Nic36

Reaction score
Just been to Tesco to buy some baby suncream, and got the only one they had: bepanthen factor 50 plus, but in the directions it says suitable from 6 months... Emily is only three months, do you think it will be ok or is there any cream for under 6 month babies? Thanks for any advice ladies!

Superdrug do Nivea Baby!I didn't actually check the age? But surely its better than burning xxx

Xxx

That's what I thought too - just couldn't understand why it specifies 6 months.

My doctor advised me not to use sun cream on K until she is 6 months old. He said to just keep her in the shade as much as possible. I don't really know the reasoning.

Last edited:
My doctor advised me not to use sun cream on K until she is 6 months old. He said to just keep her in the shade as much as possible. I don't really know the reasoning.

I'm thinking maybe it's a chemical in the product perhaps? I was intending tokeep Emily in the shade anyway, but just wanted to be doubly cautious with the suncream. Oh well.

Yep I just spoke to my HV and she said not to put sun cream on baby until 6 months - they should just be kept out of direct sunlight until their skin is less sensitive xxx

I've decided not to use it for now - just need to be extra careful with keeping her shaded as Emily is so fair and both me and hubby burn really easily.

I looked it up and some info says that babies have a much larger skin area compared to their overall weight, so therefore any reaction to the chemicals would be more severe. It also said that young babies aren't able to control their body temperature by sweating to cool off very well, and sun cream makes their ability to sweat even worse.

Last edited:
I've used it on G.

Just a little bit at first to test. I'd rather risk her getting a rash than sunburn.

I know with the best will in the world sometimes you burn without realising.

Xxx

I think theres a difference between smothering the whole body and doing the bits on show, ESP feet.

As covered as Tyler is when we're out his legs and feet are sometimes in the sun so I'd rather risk it iykwim?

I wouldn't use it on a child under 6 months personally. Alot of.children are becoming vitamin D deficient because they are being smothered in suncream. A child under 6 months shouldn't be in direct sun for long periods anyway so the small amount they do get will be.fine and actually be a positive thing.

I looked it up and some info says that babies have a much larger skin area compared to their overall weight, so therefore any reaction to the chemicals would be more severe. It also said that young babies aren't able to control their body temperature by sweating to cook off very well, and sun cream makes their ability to sweat even worse.

That's really interesting! Thank you! :)

I think theres a difference between smothering the whole body and doing the bits on show, ESP feet.

As covered as Tyler is when we're out his legs and feet are sometimes in the sun so I'd rather risk it iykwim?

Yeah, I did round G's face cos that's the bit I find hardest to keep covered, especially if she's feeding outside (she shoves my scarf outta the way) xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
confettiblue
Back