Anyone been prescribed Stemetil for sickness??

Dee83

Reaction score
Hi girls,

I have been suffering with all day nausia and vomiting at least once a day, sometimes up to three times, since i was 7 weeks. It's the constant nausia that gets me down and the unpredictabilty of the vomitting - it's completely taken over my life! I have probably only been out of the house 3 times in the last month and it's really getting me down.

Anyway, i went to the docs yesterday to see if there was anything he could do and he prescibed Stemetil Tablets He told me to take up to three per day and that i should start to feel the difference in 2-3 days. I took 1 yesterday evening and felt incredibly drowsy and took 1 this morning. Having had a closer look at the leaflet today, it says that it should not be taken in pregnancy! I've had a browse through google and it seems to be quite a commonly prescibed drug for pregnancy nausia but it still worries me.

Just wondering if anyone has taken this drug and if so how did you find it?

Would appreciate your advice! Thanks,

Dee. xx

Hi,
I'm having similar problems with nausea and sickness, I phoned and spoke to my dr the other day who said that anti-sickness tablets come with a risk but in some cases the benefit of taking them out does the risk. He said it was my choice if wanted to have them, I said no.

Hole you're feeling okay, I am so depressed with it :(

:hugs:

Almost all medicines out there have 'do not take in pregnancy' or 'consult your doctor before taking' because companies are not able to properly test them on pregnant women (for obvious ethical reasons) and therefore cannot say that they are safe for fear of being sued etc.

However, if this has been prescribed for you by your doctor and is a common medicine to be offered for morning sickness then there generally would not have been any reported cases of a proven negative effect on the development of the baby and the risk is therefore considered to be very small. So if I felt like you then I would take it. It is really very unlikely that, out of all the women that have taken it, you would be the first person where it will do harm.

Last edited:
I'm taking another kind (don't have them to hand to tell you what they are) same story really take 3 times a day etc. Ive decided to only take them 1st thing in the morning (do I can eat! And get out of bed) and if I feel really bad. I try my best to go without but I'm sure they are fine and yours are fine! Believe me they've been a new lease of life for me!

Hi,
I'm having similar problems with nausea and sickness, I phoned and spoke to my dr the other day who said that anti-sickness tablets come with a risk but in some cases the benefit of taking them out does the risk. He said it was my choice if wanted to have them, I said no.

Hole you're feeling okay, I am so depressed with it :(

:hugs:

Hi,
I totally understand you deciding against the tablets. I kept putting off going to the docs for about 4 weeks but it's come to the stage now were i don't know what else to do.

How many weeks are you now? I am 10wks and 1 day so am kind of hoping that it will start to ease off in the next couple of weeks anyway!

Thanks for your reply hun and i really hope that you start to feel better soon. xx

I'm taking another kind (don't have them to hand to tell you what they are) same story really take 3 times a day etc. Ive decided to only take them 1st thing in the morning (do I can eat! And get out of bed) and if I feel really bad. I try my best to go without but I'm sure they are fine and yours are fine! Believe me they've been a new lease of life for me!

Thanks for your reply. I think i will do the same as you and just take one in the morning. I took one this morning and haven't been feeling as bad as normal. So fingers crossed that will be all i need to make it more bearable. xx

Almost all medicines out there have 'do not take in pregnancy' or 'consult your doctor before taking' because companies are not able to properly test them on pregnant women (for obvious ethical reasons) and therefore cannot say that they are safe for fear of being sued etc.

However, if this has been prescribed for you by your doctor and is a common medicine to be offered for morning sickness then there generally would not have been any reported cases of a proven negative effect on the development of the baby and the risk is therefore considered to be very small. So if I felt like you then I would take it. It is really very unlikely that, out of all the women that have taken it, you would be the first person where it will do harm.

Thanks so much for your advice, it's made me feel a bit more at ease. I will do as Pinkyprincess suggested and just take one in the mornings for now. Thanks again xx

Hiya, I have a ton of stemetil in my cupboard because i suffer from migraines, and rang the NHS line to see if I could take them whilst pregnant and they said I shouldnt unless I absolutely had to, especially not 'just for morning sickness' (their words not mine) but only if i was having a proper migraine.

I know thats really not useful but i thought it would be better to share what i was told. Why dont you get a second opinion from another doctor you trust? x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back