anybody know any films...

Kimbo

Reaction score
...similar to the magdalene sisters?
if anyone doesnt know, this is the plot,

Product Description
A stirring, must-see motion picture critics called one of the best films of the year, THE MAGDALENE SISTERS is the triumphant story of three extraordinary women whose courage to defy a century of injustice would inspire a nation! Abandoned by society and cast out by their families for crimes they did not commit, these women found themselves stripped of their liberty and dignity and condemned to indefinite sentences of manual labor. Within the church-run Magdalene Laundries, these women were forced into unbearable institutional servitude in order to cleanse themselves of the "sins" of which they had been accused. From acclaimed director Peter Mullan, this award-winning powerhouse not only reveals the truth behind one of the great tragedies of our time, but celebrates the bravery that would bring it to an end!

its like a very catholic ireland.. i watched it last night and really enjoyed it, so just wondered if anyone knew of any similair films?

Kimbo said:
its like a very catholic ireland.. i watched it last night and really enjoyed it, so just wondered if anyone knew of any similair films?

Just watch it again? :rotfl: Only kidding :oops:

jenna said:
Kimbo said:

Just watch it again? :rotfl: Only kidding :oops:

think ill have to :lol:

When you say similar, in which way would you like it to be similar? Presumably you don't mean the plot? So, are we talking atmosphere, an independent production, set in similar place etc?

Because I can think of a couple off hand which are also set in Ireland, but are quite different.

Circle of Friends (which stars Minnie Driver) and
The Commitments (which is a film version of the book by Roddy Doyle and good fun).

Otherwise, I can have a root around in my Radio Times Film Guide plus our DVD collection when I get home.

Michael Collins is also fantastic. It stars Liam Neeson, which is a good enough reason to watch it, if you ask me (he's very nice).

It's all about the IRA (Michael Collins was their leader) and I think it's set around the time of the uprising, but I can't exactly remember. Will have to double check that when I get home, too.

i have the magdeline sisters and i also liked

angelas ashes
rabbit proof fence

they aren't about laundry homes in ireland but they are good films to watch. based on truth sort of thing. :)

take a look on www.play.com

theres loads on there

It's not similar but it's set a few years back in the States, "Mona Lisa Smile" (Julia Roberts, Kirstin Dunst, Julia Stiles, Maggie Gyllenhall), it's not 'similar' as in content but the older fashioned rules regarding society etc set around an old fashioned college for young ladies Julia Roberts is this new aged thinking history of art professor who's thinking outside the box gets her into bother while she tries to open the minds of the young ladies she's teaching.

thanks u lot for your replies.

yeah it was the setting i enjoyed, like the strict way in which people were treated etc
strong views on society etc

thanks for ur suggestions ill look them up :hug:

Hi Kim,

Try 'song for a raggy boy' its about a catholic reform school for boys in the west of Ireland (harrowing in parts -but a very good film)

The lady who made The Magdalene sisters - has done another two similar productions - different story lines but all 'very real', they seem to be shown on Irish TV first then released as films (I think) one was shown a few weeks ago, it was about the rape victim. I cant remember the first one she did though.

E

play.com is really good too! you may get it tomorrow!

yeah ive prdered fromt hem before, and last time i ordered i got a discount code for my next order but lost it!

anyone seen evelyn?

no i haven't/ i just looked at it when i ordered raggy boy :think:

I couldn't believe the last Magdalene Laundry only closed in the 70's!!!

Oh another really good Irish film is 'the wind that shakes the barley' it is political though, I liked it though because it focuses on one small village and not what was happening all over the country. (plus its based in Cork -where I am from)
The Irish like making films about misery and pain - there are loads of them!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back