Anemic. What can I do?

nissa

Reaction score
Hi there,

! had the midwife yesterday morning and she took blood for iron count. Today the surgery rang and said that I am to make an appointment in the morning as an emergency case with the doc cause the results are back and my blood count is pretty low.

I was just wondering what to expect? will it just be iron tablets? Is there anything else I can do to help?

Prob just ioron tablets, thats what im on atm

Im on iron tablets too. The dr told me to keep up on vitamin C as it helps retain iron.

Also eat lots of broccoli and green leafy veg.

AND dark chocolate.

xxx

Hi what the other ladies have said you will probably be given tabs but try to eat green leafy food and try the vit c thing to as it helps the iron, i googled foods with iron and this is what it give me hope this helps

Iron is an essential mineral. Good sources of iron include liver, meat, beans, nuts, dried fruit (such as dried apricots), whole grains (such as brown rice), fortified breakfast cereals, soybean flour and most dark green leafy vegetables (such as watercress and curly kale). Some people think that spinach is a good source of iron, but spinach contains a substance that makes it harder for the body to absorb the iron from it. Similarly, tea and coffee also contain a substance that can bind with iron making it harder for the body to absorb it and so cutting down on tea and coffee could help to improve iron levels.

Although liver is a good source of iron, if you're pregnant you should avoid eating it because of the amount of vitamin A it contains.

Good luck :hug:

eat brocli, spinnish and peas they are great sorce for iron :D

I'm on pregaday (iron and folic acid) because of the last count. I can't imagine they'd advise much more than vit c and green veg on top. You should feel you've got far more energy within a couple of days of taking them.
Do take note to eat extra fibre though - iron tabs can bung you up! :wink:

me too! i take x 2 iron tablets a day,they can make you constipated but i must admit they really bucked me up and gave me some energy back again. :cheer:

My MW recommended Floradix, a liquid iron supplement - this is supposedly better than iron tablets as it doesn't make you constipated. I've been taking it a few days and it seems to be working as I do have more energy now

I'm on pregaday iron tablets too- nice green poo! They worked within a few days and I felt so much better

+++

Thanks ladies! Midwife rang me in the end cos she didn't want me to panic about what the receptionist had said bless her. I don't have to see the doc in the morning now - I can get a lie in as DD is at a friends house whoo hoo! But I'm working at 11 so not too much of one!

I'm getting pregaday tablets and she advised the same stuff you did! She said that as it was quite low she'll test again in a fortnight just to be sure. I'm pretty much a veggie so upping the veg is no problem. I'll be sure to up the fibre too thanks for the tip!

Chickpeas are an excellent source of iron too but I'd stay away from spinach although it has lots of iron it has something in it which causes the body not to store the iron from it.

Lots of green leafy veg like cabbage, curly kale.

Drinking fresh orange juice after taking the iron will help it be aborsbed better in your body as Vit C helps Iron aborsed better, i was told this when i had to have iron - i am due to have my blood taken next visit and think i may be put on iron too - just feel it lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back