Your views on 'Arthur'

Isabelle UK

Reaction score
Hello everyone - I'm new - baby's due 9th December.

Hubby and I are both French, so we're trying to find names that work in both languages. No problem with girls names, there are lots of them.

But when it comes to boys names, we're having the problem where they can sound really great in one language, and very old-fashioned in the other.

Whenever I've mentioned 'Arthur' in England, everyone laughed :oops: Though in France it is a grandpa's name that is coming back to fasion.

Could you tell me what YOU think? I don't want my baby to be laughed at all his life because we went wrong with his name.

Cheers.

Hiya!

*waves*

Maybe it will come back into fashion here like in France. Harry, Henry, Jack etc have all been "grandpa" names.

Hi, for some reason it won't let me vote. I agree with Urchin, there are a lot of "grandpa" names that are becoming very popular these days so Arthur will be the next one? I think Arthur is cool especially if you have a french surname. Girls names are easier to come up with. We had our boys names sorted but OH has changed his mind so we are back to square one now x

I love it, there are lots of 'little' Arthurs round here, including my friends little boy.

I like it! Maybe you can start a new trend over here :) It will be popular one day,you guys get all the latest fashions and stuff... same with name choices :)

Hi,

we love the name arthur and that is our chosen name if we have a boy.

Arthur for a boy and Ella Louise if it is a gir although wont know until the big day

Regards

Sarah

awwww! am so made up to see this posting!! all the way thru my pregnancy, i keep coming back to arthur - although now mostly to wind boyf up as he doesnt like it ( says it reminds him of an eccentric alcoholic billionaire) so we have settled on toby ( his choice) but i still really really like arthur, so go for it!!!
:D

boyf has just told me that the eccentric alcoholic billionaire thing comes from the dudley moore film "arthur" - i wondered where that come from - i havent seen the film!

still ike the name tho!

Being French too and expecting a boy too makes me in the same situation than you. My partner is english but we still cannot agree on any names. He wants Jack, I do not really like it a smy dad's name is Jacques and it is a very common name at the moment!!!!

I wanted hugo or Louis, both old-fashioned names coming back to fashion but cute. He does not like them :roll:

So good luck, boys name are not that easy to find!!!!

hi Isabelle!

i'm having the same problem as you as i am french as well and also want bilingual names, it's proving harder than i thought...

personally i think arthur is a really sweet name and i dont think it would go wrong in any of the countries.

i've only decided what the baby's middle name will be if its a girl: lola!! otherwise i'm waiting to see its face.

good luck with your search for names
and take care
pips xxx

go for it, Arthur is lovely.

My nephew has a grandpa name, Harry.

funny how grandpa names are coming in but not really grandma names.

my hubby's name wants us to name the baby after her if it is a girl Gladys, there is no way. couldnt imagine a maud, or Ethel either.

x

I love the name Arthur, so cute. Personally, when we do get lucky and get pg, if we have a boy, it's already decided that it will be Harry which is a 'Grandpa' name.

Funny how the trends go..... I had an uncle Jack, my best friends 4 year old is Jack.
I also had an Aunt May Grace, my cousins 2 little daughters are called Grace and Mae.
My great-grandma was Alice, very popular now.

BTW - Futuremum, I love the name Louis!

I much prefer these timeless names to the popular 'fad' names like Beyonce or Britney!! (Apologies to any Beyonce's and Britney's out there!!!) My daughter has 2 friends who are sisters, 12 year old Whitney and 9 year old Britney!! Sorry, but I just can't help taking the mick when she talks about them!! :lol:

Thanks for all your replies...

Middles names will be Louis Georges, after two of our grandfathers, so Arthur Louis Georges might sound a bit too 'kingly' ;)

I don't know... I still LOVE Arthur in French, and if the baby was going to grow up in France, it would be Arthur without hesitation.

(I still love Louis too by the way, but hubby doesn't want it as a first name. I think it could possibily be a Marc then. I'll soon find out - saw the MW yesterday, his head is 4/5th engaged :lol: - can't wait!).

That's lovely.

I'm also a big fan of Arthur and now you chose something else I can say why! See the little black and white fella to the left? His name is Arthur.

It's such a great name and suits him so well. It's also a dreadful pun by my OH.... Arthur....Arfor....R For....R For Rabbit....Groan...... :lol:

If you think that was bad he called the last rabbit we had....Stew!

And no.... he won't be naming our children!! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back