Your thoughts on the Post natal questionnaire? (EDPS)

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm just wondering what your thoughts are on the EDPS (Edinburh Post natal depression scale). My 'little' one is nearly 3 but I remember filling mine out like it was yesterday. The health visitor took my little girl while I completed it and I knew she was watching for my reaction. She was quite surprised at my honesty and my high score but I pointed out that I had had a traumatic birth and was bound to score high. I needed extra check-ups after that, which I'm quite grateful for to be honest. I've experienced mild depression years ago and know what a nasty mental illness it is and also considered myself to be quite vulnerable to PND. My history coupled with my birth meant I was quite relieved to be given extra attention. I really did feel like I was being taken seriously. In previous posts in other threads I have said that I generally have nothing but praise for the NHS from a maternity point of view. Had I not been honest with myself and the health visitor, I'm honestly not sure how badly I would have suffered from PND... :think:

Nope never had one, just had the hv's asking me if I ever felt anxious about 6 weeks after having him! Good job I didnt have pnd really as I wouldnt have stood a cchance!!
xxx

I filled out a form yesterday at the 6 week check. And I think it was kind of pointless. I know I'm fine and not suffering PND but some women who are may hide it, and then they would just lie to cover it up. The questions were so general... I think it's good they do something to check. But it just seemed a bit half hearted. But my health visitor is always asking how I am. And the doctor did too yesterday xxx

my hv vistor always asks me how i am coping and have i felt helpless and lost intrest in things in the last 6 weeks

I filled out a form yesterday at the 6 week check. And I think it was kind of pointless. I know I'm fine and not suffering PND but some women who are may hide it, and then they would just lie to cover it up. The questions were so general... I think it's good they do something to check. But it just seemed a bit half hearted. But my health visitor is always asking how I am. And the doctor did too yesterday xxx

I suppose that's my point really. You've got to be honest to get on the 'radar'. In my opinion, some women may actually be too frightened to admit that they have the onset of PND and be in denial, which is dangerous ground. Then they answer the questions in such a way to get OFF the radar... Sad but very probably true.

my hv vistor always asks me how i am coping and have i felt helpless and lost intrest in things in the last 6 weeks

That's probably a better approach. To actually be interested, ask,take note and ACT!

I suppose that's my point really. You've got to be honest to get on the 'radar'. In my opinion, some women may actually be too frightened to admit that they have the onset of PND and be in denial, which is dangerous ground. Then they answer the questions in such a way to get OFF the radar... Sad but very probably true.

That's exactly what I think. Good for women who do admit to it. But in sure many dont...Xx

Didn't have one either and I was supposed to be high risk :D

I had mine last Friday, and I think the main problem with it is that if you want to appear 'okay' then it's incredibly easy to work out which answers to give. I realise that even if you question people they can lie, but at least if you're making them talk about it there's more chance you'll pick up on body language / voice changes etc.

I scored seven, and I think if I'd been completely truthful I would probably have scored more. They've seemed quite concerned about me all along because things did not go 'as planned' during Alex's birth, and I've had a lot of pain and multiple health issues since (5 lots of antibiotics needed in 6 weeks!). I realise I should have been truthful, but the 'support' from the community midwives and health visitors so far had been so hit and miss that I honestly think I'm better off without them (although maybe if they were really worried about somebody they'd sort themselves out a bit). I also think that most of my problems were caused by the amount of physical pain I was in. Thankfully that seems to be almost gone now, which should make everything a bit easier :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back