your hospital bag

cocoflakes

Reaction score
when did you start preparing your hospital bag?
what did you put it in it?
and how long do you stay in hospital after giving birth?

Obviously i have no plans of packing my bags yet as im early in the first tri but never did anyone any harm to get all the info!!

:) x

There is a useful list under Pregnancy Chat (at the top of the page called 'what to put in your hospital bag' or something similar), not all of it is necessary but you can just pick the bits that you will need.
I packed my bags with my first at about 30 weeks (although this is probably slightly too early :shock:).
The length of time you stay in hospital depends on 1) your local hospital guidelines and 2) what happens during your labour.
Assuming you have a trouble free labour and both mother and baby are well my hospital can discharge you after 6 hours. Obviously it would be longer if there were any complications.

I started packing my bag at 32 weeks but properly finished it at 38+6 and waters broke that very day..
My bag was mostly baby things and theres a checklist on here but half of it i didnt pack or need or even buy...
I stayed in for one night and it worked out as 2 days, only stayed in because baby needed to see the paedatrician x

Congrats by the way xxx

My bag has been packed for two weeks now. I've got a bag for me and a bag for Pickles bits. The list under Pregnancy Chat is good xx

My bag has been packed for nearly ten weeks now! I wanted to get extra organised as I had a feeling baby was going to be early. Fully cooked now so I guess not! Still, it was useful to have my bags packed as I had to spend time on the antenatal ward and having stuff ready made it much easier to grab and go.
Mind you, still adding bits and bobs every so often, like popped some new socks in baby's bag today and adding a pair of shower shoes to my bag tonight (found them in the garage covered in cobwebs so they needed to be chucked in the wash before going anywhere near the bag!!). I've got all the major stuff covered but keep thinking of little things that I'd like to have. Definitely running out of room!!

Last edited:
I packed a bag for me and a bag for baby yesterday, at 35 weeks. Think I would have really started to panic if I left it any later!

I packed my bag at about 30 weeks and good job lol, i was in and out of hospital with high BP from 34 weeks and got induced at 38!
i had a bag for me and baby.

Babies bag

nappies
cotton wool ( in stead of wipes)
vests
socks
bibs
mittens
sleepsuits
hats
cardigans
something to wash them in.

My bag
big pants
big sanitary towels
breast pads
good bras/ nursing bras
pjs/nightee
something to give birth in
slippers
dressing gown
wash bag with something to wash with... natural stuff in case you tear as it stings!!
hair brush and bobbles or headband for labour
toothbrush/paste
magazines/books
ipod/mp3 player
clothes to come home in
CAMERA
PHONE CHARGER
MONEY FOR T V
and your birthing partner..... if they fit in the bag, if not drag them with you :p

hope this helps, i may have forgotten something... shes 8 months old now and iv forgotten.. ( it cant be that bad then can it if iv forgotten lol)

I ended up in hospital at 27 weeks with my son and wished I had had my bag packed then - as DH and my mum had to go home and gather stuff for me...thankfully he wasn't born then, but I made sure my bag was packed after that just in case......

With my son I was in hospital 2 days before and 1 day after birth.
with my daughter I went in half way through labour and came home 4 hours after birth, so didn't need a lot then :)

I've been told to have my bag packed by 27 weeks as I'll be early, but I'm already jotting down a list now (well, stealing other peoples lists lol) need to buy everything as I have nothing yet!

I packed mine at 39 weeks just kept putting it off ha out of everything I packed I only used, baby grow, nappies, cotton wool, nightdress 4 me, socks, flannel, deodrant, moisturiser, makeup, dressing gown,3 pairs of knickers, hair bobble. Xx

i got my bag packed at 35 weeks! inside the bag ive got travel sized shampoos/body washes, a little wash clothe, a nursing nightie shirt/dress top, black leggings, a perineal irrigation bottle so i can wee comfortably at the loo after the baby comes, nappies and wipes and 2 outfits for the baby plus a pair of little socks for him, my breast pump and a bottle just in case, brush, tooth brush and toothe paste, a big cellular cotton blanket for the baby and me to snuggle with during skin to skin, my makeup bag, lanisoh nipple cream, maternity pads and a couple pairs of loose cotton panties that are black incase i leak, a couple hair ties, a pair of thick fleecy cozy socks and slippers, kindle, a spray bottle of dermoplast incase i tear or the pain during healing/urination is too much for me. i was advised by consultant to get dermoplast spray as it is VERY useful for after child birth and if stitches are needed! ( says on the bottle this is one of the uses too ) i also got a bottle of "earth mama angel baby's new mama bottom spray" for postpartum soreness! i had to get it offline tho cuz shops in uk dont sell it. thats about it i spose! i plan on just giving birth in the hospital gown but wearing it backwards so i can unbutton it front side, cuz i dont want to ruin anything of mine with blood or meconium and other yucks but still wan the skin to skin and will most likely get in my comfies after a nice shower :D

the hospital im having my baby at sends you home after 6 hours if you have a problem free vaginal birth, i think its 2 days with a c-section. ill have to stay overnight though since im RH negative, they make negative mums stay 1 day to make sure everything is okay i spose.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back