young mum Roll call

Poxie_pixie

Reaction score
Being a young mum falling pregnant at 17 having Ezzie at 18 and know being 19 I thought I'd check and see how many young mums we have in here. I feel so prejudiced against not necessarily bcuz i'm a young mum and look young but also because i dress alternatively. It's as though some people have never seen anyone different before. I feel like some sort of freak at times I go to a mother and baby group and am barely spoken to I went to a young mums group once and I couldn't stand it constantly asking me about the whole metal sub cultures and the differences and what we do at gigs etc. Just wondered what other people thought about it. (sorry for the random rant.) Btw for those of you who don't know me i'm Zoe from Derby 19, with an 11 month old little girl called Ezziemai. xXxXx

Firstly... Your little girl has a gorgeous name!

Secondly... Don't let those people bother you, you sound like you know yourself and who you are perfectly and I'm sure your daughter willvgrow up to appreciate people for who they are and will understand that its more than ok to just be who you are. Well done for setting such a great example!

Finally... I am a relatively young mum at twenty and really try to avoid mother and baby groups... I'm not very confident or good in most social situations but good on you for going!

Hayley
X

Last edited:
not really sure what counts as a young mum anymore! but im 22, had my baby at 21 and got all sorts of stares and comments when i was pregnant. I found myself biting plenty of stuck up upper classed old womens heads off!

I think young mums are only young mums if they consider themselves that way. I mean I am classed as a young mum nd it's a label tht seems to apply to ne1 under 25. Anyway hey guys xxx

I was 19 when I fell pregnant with my first, so I know how you feel. Now I am 28 & (im not blowing my own trumpet) but I still look about 16/17 - people literally cant believe I have a job & 2 children & shock horror...still with the babies daddy..:shock:

I get women give me dirty looks in the street, other women wont make convo with me & god knows what the men think. No one ever helps me with the buggy on busses or anything, but when im wearing my black suit to work, oh ppl quickly move for me then & I get respect, a shame I cant get the same thing when out with kids.

I'd like to say it gets better, but it hasn't for me. I have naturally blonde hair - i've never went brown or anything but over the last few years i really want to go dark just so ppl dont think im a daft girl.

:roll:

I don't know if I'm classed as a young mum anymore either lol but I totally know how u all feel I too look alot younger than what I am (26 next month) and I have three kids lol! Fell pregnant at 17 I was preg for both my 18th and 21st birthdays lol! Hate people that judge and I hate teen mums who make us look bad even more!! I've seen 16yr olds out with prams on streets in the cold smoking an drinking with their mates it's wrong!

Your not alone here hun!!

think i count as a young mum, im 22 and my wee girl is 18days old, the main problem we have is my husband is 34 and has 3 kids from previous relationships. people seem to see me as the young floozy he left his wife for (not at all what happened!) got horrid looks in the village we lived in, and im still wondering whether to brave the mum and baby groups!

I was pregnant at 18 and it was hard. Although I felt that I was too young to be pregnant myself! I feel like I missed out on a lot and wish I could have done things differently.
Good luck to you all girls, be the best mums you can be and prove them all wrong xxx

I was a 'young mum' as I had DD at 18. It was so hard but so rewarding! Good luck to you all :)

I'll be classed as a teen mum once baby is here (19). My partner is 23.

I don't actually feel too bothered about being a teen mum. I can cope perfectly well and can easily look after myself, OH and I'm pretty sure a baby better than some people my age. I feel unready in the sense i know it's going to be a lot to cope with but I don't feel out of my depth so far if you know what I mean.

I've never been one to go out much either so I know I'm not missing out there and I don't drink :) xx

Im classed as a young mum at 23 which I find odd because I bet most of our parents had children around this age or younger. My mum at my age had 2 children, married and living in a different country! I fell pregnant at 21 (while still at uni :blush: )

I used to get and still get dirty looks but quite frankly they can go shove it. Ive done well to raise my daughter and will continue to do so. I love that I had her 'young' though as it means I can have another and still get to enjoy myself while Im still in good health etc when shes older!

Exactly! We have the energy and more patience! My dads mate was 40 when she had her first who is the same age as Jaycee and she struggles big time!

Plus my 52yr old dad has a baby boy who was 1 a week before I had lilyanna :shock:

Last edited:
I had Alanna 2 weeks after my 19th birthday hah..
Im the same as you a bit Poxie, Never really get talked to in the Mums group.. I tried a young mums group in the uk.. and (no offense to anyone here) it was all "punk" druggie, baby stupid, types. Hated even the idea of walking in there.

Anyway.. Shes turned a year old, its been a tough year for us, moving to the middle east, splitting with my fiance, and no social life! But were alive.

I had Campbell at 24, although I dont consider myself a young Mum. I was married at 22, and we've been together for 7 years. I do feel like people think I am a lot younger!

If I was you hun, I wouldnt worry about the baby groups. I couldnt be bothered with them, all they are good for is comparing your baby to theirs and I think thats a load of crap! Just look babe and yourself and dont worry about the others! xx

I agree I never went to the mums groups as I felt it would just be a competition or be judged for my age.. I get enough of that at the school with the older mums! I was a single parent for 7yrs and I'm so proud of myself.. I heard the mums talking saying 'oh my god how are you coping with your husband being away for the week I can't even handle the weekend alone!' I let them go on and on them jumped in with 'welcome to my world!' their faces were priceless!! They were all apologetic but I said its fine I've been doing it alone so long and I manage just fine think yourselves lucky you have a decent dad around to help! They've been great with me ever since lol!!

I don't class myself as a young mum even tho I am only 19 there is younger mums out there and I like to think i'm mature for my age. Ezzie starts nursery on tuesday and I no i won't be judged there as I start working there lol. It's a nursery attached to a college so many of the parents are young mums =) xXx

i don't feel like a young mum, but get a lot of comments about being one, I'm 23! sometimes (if its been a really judgemental comment) i point out the fact that it wasn't that long ago that the majority of women were married with children by 21! my friend is 20 (only just) and she has 3 kids, eldest is 4, second is 2 and a half and youngest is 4 months! she gets judged a lot, but she doesn't help her self, its horrid but she does deserve half the comments thrown at her!

i'm yet to have attempted to go to a baby group, the ones i want to go to i cant get to! so i've decided to wait till my friend is ready to take her LO as she's due the end of this month and we're both very alternative, so we'll have each other for support!

i'm yet to have attempted to go to a baby group, the ones i want to go to i cant get to! so i've decided to wait till my friend is ready to take her LO as she's due the end of this month and we're both very alternative, so we'll have each other for support!

Where bouts are you from if you don't mind me asking hun I love meeting alternative mums. there is a few in derby but they all seem to tone it done when they become a mum. I love my newrocks too much x

I'm from kent, there's a few "alternative" mums down here, but most are a lot older! I feel quite lucky that my friend, she worked with my OH before going on mat leave, is a complete metal head! so i know i'm not on my own, and we can get judged together lol!!!

for me, it was my upbringing . . . it was anything but "normal" . . . my parents are hippy's and I didn't live in a house until i was 4 years old, before that it was a caravan an a converted bus! for me anything goes, if I like it I'll wear it/listen to it ect, though I have had to tone it down (was unemployed and couldn't get a job even though was getting plenty of interviews . . . think it was the white blond and hot pink hair! dyed it back to normal and got a job straight away!) but now that I don't have to worry about employers I'm thinking of dying it again :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back