you see, now i'm confused

Linda

Reaction score
and it really doesnt take alot at the moment....

when i went to see the consultant on wednesday the m/w said i was 1/5th engaged and she couldnt move Beans head.

i've just been reading a post about engagement and now i'm confuddled as 2 different people have come back with 2 different answers.

so does this mean Bean is almost fully engaged or just abit of the head is there?

i've done a search on the net and i'm still no wiser as people are saying different things... :think:

Its quite confusing but i was reading my book a few days ago and think it means your baby has his/her head in the first section of your pelvis. The first fifth. So she/hes not fully engaged yet.

I think thats right. :think:

its confused me too ! cos my normal mw had been right 0/5 which makes sense that none of his head was engaged , now with the hossy writing 4/5 which i cant poss be 1/5 away from fully engaged !

i guess it gets confusing when (say like me today ) 4/5 of his head is free and 1/5 in engaged in pelvis ! so they use both sayings i guess ? which makes it hard to think what u actually are !!!

u will have to ask ur MW as some areas do it by how many fifths have gone into pelvis and some by how many fifths are still left.

or at ur next appointment head will go that further bit into your pelvis, and u can see how your MW is recording it.

with mine it counted down, so I was 4/5 then 3/5 then 2/5 but you should check. i would say 1/5 sounds like imminent labour but if she didn't say anything to you of the sort, then best give her a call to clarify. the fact she said she couldn't move your babies head - to me that says it's pretty much fully engaged. but check with her x

mine was 5/5 full engagded. funny how the nhs can do thing differently lol

i think 1/5 is not very engaged and 5/5 is fully... this is how far into the pelvis the babys head is

however, if your notes say palpable (or pa) after how many fifths, its how much of the babys head the MW can feel out of the pelvis...

confused, i am..

paradysso said:
u will have to ask ur MW as some areas do it by how many fifths have gone into pelvis and some by how many fifths are still left.

I think paradysoo is right here. My midwife explained that I am 2/5 engaged which means that they are counting down to 0/0 for fully engaged. If I was 5/5 then he only would be at the top of the pelvis an not engaged at all! Hope tha makes sense. Check with your midwives how they are calculating it!

Thanks everyone for your replies,

i go again on thursday for a growth scan so i'll ask what they mean when i go.

they either count down or count up just to add confusion- it depends on what it says on the column in your notes- whether it is what they can feel still out (palpable/pa) or what they can't feel (what is engaged in the pelvis)

Mine is the engaged one so the are counting down- she is now 3\5 engaged so 2\5 is still palpable (feelable) if that makes sense? :?

Think they just like to confuddle us :roll:

mine just says 1/5th eng,

but she did tell me it was fixed and she couldnt get it to move, she hasnt written anything else on my notes though.

i have been getting more pressure down there over the last couple of days and bump seams to have dropped a little, maybe we are on the move??

It sounds like she is 1\5th into the pelvis and 4\5 still palpable (free). By your next appointment she will probably have dropped further in so might be 2\5 or 3\5 engaged.

Everything is moving the right way :)

that makes sense with the palpable bit after , that must be the bit i can barely read ! well least thats cleared up !

but woo to being 1/5 engaged lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back