Would you if you were me?

Sophie Johnson

Reaction score
My question to you – would you....?

A friend of mine has been on the exact same journey as me. Diagnosed with PCOS. Given Metformin, same dose as me (3 x 500mg). Then she was given Clomid (50mg). Cut a long story short, she has a baby and has three months of Clomid which she has given to me (expires in 2014). The Endocrinologist at the hospital has told me this would be my next step but I would have to wait at least 18months of trying before he would normally prescribe it. Well, that isn’t working for me as Hubby had reversal in August last year and was told that he has about two years until the scarring could heal it up again. He currently has a just under normal sperm count.

The maths isn’t good. Another 12 months to wait before get prescribed Clomid which eats into a huge chunk of the two years plus the 5 months gone since the op.

If you were me, would you just take the Clomid now? It’s not like it’s an unknown drug and if I had any problems I would tell the doctor I was using it. It just seems like three months of better chances now....?

Soph xx

I would never, ever advocate self medication hun.

I have also heard that there are some side effects [for some people] with Clomid ?

I totally 100% understand your predicament though and feel bad advising you against a few months of Clomid

Is there now way the Dr could refer you earlier? What about of you tell them you are so desperate you are going to self medicate?

Are you able to afford private treatment?

xxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Going back to Docs is certainly an option. He is not the most sympathetic to the situation. My next Endoc appointment is the end of Feb.

I confided in a friend who works in maternity ward who asked some questions to the docs on my behalf. They said it is very common and wouldn't be questioned but it could be found in my bloods and may have to say something then. Of course I would never say where I got them from.

We have a private fertility clinic in the city which is about £400 for tests etc. I am not sure if they will prescribe Clomid. Wont find out until I ring so that is what I am going to do... now.

Going back to Docs is certainly an option. He is not the most sympathetic to the situation. My next Endoc appointment is the end of Feb.

I confided in a friend who works in maternity ward who asked some questions to the docs on my behalf. They said it is very common and wouldn't be questioned but it could be found in my bloods and may have to say something then. Of course I would never say where I got them from.

We have a private fertility clinic in the city which is about £400 for tests etc. I am not sure if they will prescribe Clomid. Wont find out until I ring so that is what I am going to do... now.

Ok hun - was jsut trying to think of some other options for you.

I am loath to self medicate (I won't even take EPO until fter my appointment at the recurrent m/c on Friday) in-case it alters me chemically in any way.

I want to be exactly as I am "now" so when they see me they can hopefully detect the true cause of my issues

(sorry that isn't very elequent - what I mean in I don't want to do anything that may get in the way of a proper diagnosis!)

xxxxxxxxx

Last edited:

Ok hun - was jsut trying to think of some other options for you.

I am loath to self medicate (I won't even take EPO until fter my appointment at the recurrent m/c on Friday) in-case it alters me chemically in any way.

I want to be exactly as I am "now" so when they see me they can hopefully detect the true cause of my issues

(sorry that isn't very elequent - what I mean in I don't want to do anything that may get in the way of a proper diagnosis!)

xxxxxxxxx

Thanks for your thoughts thats what I was looking for. :) Totally get where you are coming from, not sure what I would say to someone either. Have rung two fertility clinics and they said I have to be referred by the GP but they are sending out a brochure anyway. I thought I could just go into a clinic and get seen private.

Will go back to GP and ask for the referral or clomid and take it from there.

What a predicament...!

I totally understand where you are coming from, that feeling of time running out is so bloody scary :shock:

I think for the time being you just need to go by the book and if this doesn't work for you then maybe reassess?

I hope you get some answers soon though!

Best of luck

xxxxxxxx

Hon

I see a private clinic and they can def prescribe medication and that will include any type pf clomid. If you do not want to take any meds from your friend then i would book straight with a private clinic and see if they will prescribe it. I am sure that you don't need a GP referal. I didnt. I just telephoned them and they fit me in. You may have to pay a bit (plus have few initial investigations with them) but it skips the whole 12 months. i dont know how old you are how long you have been trying, but i am so glad we went private as waiting on the NHS would have taken ages.

I agree with Carnet though I would steer clear of any medications that your friend gives you. I am sure they would be fine, and I would find it hard to say no too, but I would try and keep to what your fertility experts tell you.

I am with a fab clinic in Harley Street (don't know where you are based) and would be happy to send you the details.

Love Gizzy xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania89
Back