Would you get an early scan if you were me?

Corrinne37

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Ok so Im pregnant very early stages and kind of worried sick but trying to be chilled/ positive.

After my first MMC, I said I wanted an early scan to reassure me.

Problem is , it didnt reassure me, I was given bad news again.

Again my body showed no signs that anything was wrong.

I couldnt bear going through it all again, and esp so near to Christmas, it will ruin our family Christmas. Of course if good news Id be delighted.

The thought of even going to the EPU and seeing the same lady that works there just sends shivers down my spine! She was lovely yes, but twice she so caring has put her hand on my knee and told me its bad news. I just cant do it again!!

Advice please, what would you do in my position (im 6 wks) After Xmas ill be 10 wks.
(crucial stage for me is between wks 6 & 8)

xxx thansk any advice welcome xxx

I think it depends on you, when I fell on with T I thought about having an early scan but them knowing me it would have reassured me for all of 10 minutes after leaving the scan room. Fortunately (or unfortunately) this time I have been poorly and the nausea has been horrendous, and still is pretty awful, I lost that by 8 weeks with the pregnancy I lost
:hugs:

It's a really difficult situation. I think both ways is going to be hard because if you go to EPU and god forbid get bad news it will be awful for you just before Christmas, but on the other hand if you don't find out you will spend the whole of the Xmas period worrying?

I personally would go to EPU because chances are the baby is healthy and fine and that would make your Christmas extra special. I think I would be willing to take that risk rather than worry over Xmas. But I really don't know it's such a hard decision to make. I really feel for you honey xxx

Thanks ladies, still unsure.

Wannabemummy - I see your from East Sussex , I am too - whereabouts are you? xx

Thanks ladies, still unsure.

Wannabemummy - I see your from East Sussex , I am too - whereabouts are you? xx

I'm in Brighton hun. Where are you? Have you thought more about what you are going to do? Xxx

I live in Bexhill. Very quiet compared to Brighton!!

I think I am going to wait until the 12 wk scan.

The thought of going into that same room, with the same woman petrifies me!

I have it twice and was bad news. Im just going to sit it out, concentrate on Christmas and my family and little boy.

I just hope mother nature is kind to me this time round, I know nothing else can make a difference it really is just nature.

Will let you in a cple of weeks if I falter on that, but will try to be as strong as I can!! xxx

Oh good luck my lovely. Really keeping everything crossed that this is your time. And I think if that's the decision you're happiest with then that's definitely the best one :) xxx

Really hoping and praying that this is a sticky bean for you Corrinne. As for my two penneth.

I wouldn't have the early scan.

Given what has happened to you I don't think you will take reassurance from it for longer than a couple of days at most.

When it happened to me and I got my BFP second time round I was so so sure I would have an early scan at first. But then I ended up burying my head in the sand and I just wanted to forget and pretend I wasn't pregnant until 12 weeks plus. I had a conversation with the midwife about it and she made me reconsider as she said I would be worried again the second I left the room so I should save my money (they wouldn't give me one on the NHS). She was totally right.

I had a scan at 10+4 weeks as I was going to the US on holiday 2 days after my 12 week scan and I wanted to know if it was bad news so I had time to deal with it before my holiday. If I wasn't going away I wouldn't have had it. I worked myself up into an awful awful state the day before the early scan. I was a wreck. I cried in the room and allsorts.

Then despite seeing a healthy bean and getting the reassurance I wanted, I wound myself up into exactly the same state at the 12 week scan incase something had gone wrong in the 2 weeks between.

Just my opinion of course, if you think you would be reassured and can rest at that then go for it.

xxxx

Thanks Torino,
yes that has really made sense.
I think that is exactly how i would be.
just the thought of going into that room gives me cold sweats.
my midwife says even if you do see a heartbeat it hold no guarantees.
at least when i get to 12 wks i know i can relax a bit.
and it will just be gel on the belly in a different room, different lady!

cant believe tilly is 8 months old! hope you both are doing really well. xxx

Hard choice but I guess because I have to wait n have no choice I would say wait . If midwife today said I could see now what would I do? Hmm honestly I'd prob say yes please as even if bad news because Christmas and family to look forward to and take my mind off things and wud mean time off work without people knowing.I was off 'sick' and asking awkward q's . But only you can know how reassured you would be. I guess every woman has a risk of mmc or mc or other issues and so they wait patiently it's just so hard having been thru a loss previously . What date is your twelve week scan currently at? Mine is 3rd Jan will be bricking it. Already forgetful about first midwife this morn!! Whatever decision is big hugs xx

Thanks K8,
My 12 wk scan is 17th Jan.
Just before my birthday!!!!!

I think im going to sit it out. Im tryin to kind push the act im pregnant to the back of my mind.
But obvs just look after myself as much as pos!!

xxx

Well done on being brave and waiting! Hope things work out this time it's so hard waiting defiantly take care of yourself xxx

i waited for my 12 week scan both times with my son and daughter, but when I got my bfp in october I wanted to book a viability/reassurance scan - booked a private one for when I would have been 7+3 - I mc at 7 weeks so missed it by 3 days!

When I get another bfp I don't think I will book another one - i will just wait and see what happens tbh!

Thanks Torino,
yes that has really made sense.
I think that is exactly how i would be.
just the thought of going into that room gives me cold sweats.
my midwife says even if you do see a heartbeat it hold no guarantees.
at least when i get to 12 wks i know i can relax a bit.
and it will just be gel on the belly in a different room, different lady!

cant believe tilly is 8 months old! hope you both are doing really well. xxx

I hope the time passes quickly for you hun. :hugs: the mw also said that to me about the heartbeat etc.

My little T bag is not so little any more! she's growing too fast :( she is ace though. A right little Madame :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back