Would you ever be an Organ Donor??

Foxxi

Reaction score
I have been since I was 14...there is an option now ..when you apply for a driving licence.

Im one of thoses silly people that would donate
but have not filled in the donar card :oops:
i need to get one i know
but ive told my family that id like to donate
but its better to have it in black and white

I'm an organ donor. Here in Australia you can register to be one on the internet, it's really easy. Don't know if you can do something like that in the UK?

You can do the same here its really quick and easy to do!

I am on the register and personally hope they bring in automatic organ donation with an opt out option because then decissions can be made before the event of a death and peoples wishes will be able to be respected, I think anyone who strongly does not want their or their childrens organs donated would definately make the time to register to opt of donation but theres lots of people that would be happy to donate and just never get round to putting themself on the register or think to discuss it because no one likes to think about whats going to happen after their death unless they have to!

What scares me is that they have to take your organs while you are still "alive" don't they? Once you are stone dead your organs aren't any good are they?

I need to educate myself about it me thinks :think: Its an awesome thing to do but not sure my family are strong enough and I wouldn't want to put them through it :(

I used to be, I should check if I still am.

I'm applying to be a bone marrow donor too, while still alive obviously hehe

Ive been on the donor list since i applied for my provisional at 16...dont see the point in keeping something that u dont need that can help others...at the end of the day u dont know if u will need a transplant at some point in the future and hopfully none of us will but if u do u hope to have one there for u semi readily avalible!!!!!!

In Spain you don't get a choice.. but as I won't be using my organs after my death someone else can have em...:)

i have been on the donor list since i was 14 although they are not allowed to touch my eyes :oops: might sound silly and selfish to some when my eyes could help someone to see after my death but i have a big thing about my eyes and i really dont want to donate them :( they can have everything else ive also made my family aware should anything happen to me everything except my eyes are up for grabs xxxxxxxx

we are under the Generalitat de Valencia and while they will "ask" you if its ok to remove the organs, if you say no, and they really need them they will just take em. I think Murcia now allow you to opt out but I'm not sure :think:

Penstraze said:
You can do the same here its really quick and easy to do!

I am on the register and personally hope they bring in automatic organ donation with an opt out option because then decissions can be made before the event of a death and peoples wishes will be able to be respected, I think anyone who strongly does not want their or their childrens organs donated would definately make the time to register to opt of donation but theres lots of people that would be happy to donate and just never get round to putting themself on the register or think to discuss it because no one likes to think about whats going to happen after their death unless they have to!
I completely agree! :)

rach said:
i have been on the donor list since i was 14 although they are not allowed to touch my eyes :oops: might sound silly and selfish to some when my eyes could help someone to see after my death but i have a big thing about my eyes and i really dont want to donate them :( they can have everything else ive also made my family aware should anything happen to me everything except my eyes are up for grabs xxxxxxxx

I'm EXACTLY the same.. don't know why but can't stand the thought of them taking my eyes.. everything else is fine though :D

i have been on the list for years i also give blood when i can.
i put hubby on the donor list aswell although he cant give blood.
our children will go on the donor list when they are born i think its a great thing to do :)
manda xx

yep i'm on the donor list.
I also give blood (just waiting for the 9th month after birth issue so i can go again).

when i know that i can go regularly to the donor unit every 2-3 weeks, then i donate platelets which is a longer process hooked up to a machine. And i'm on the bone marrow donor list too

yep, Id gladly give my organs away if Im not usuing them. Im not sure any of mine would be much good...I suppose my heart and kidneys would be ok but the liver has taken a battering, lungs are on the repair as we speak ( I stoped smoking finally)

I dont think Id be up for donating tissue though which covers the eyes, skin, bone, tendons, cartlidge etc...that seems a bit much. I need something to be cremated when I die and if they have that lot there wont be much left will there!!

i'm always a bit :? about organ donation. on the one hand it's a fab thing to do and i won't need the organs anyway... but on the other hand there's just something a bit weird about it :|

i'd do blood donation but i can't deal with needles. not sure if they'd fancy my blood anyway cos i'm rh- and it probably wouldn't help many people.

I dont think I could do it this present moment in time, im not even contemplating dying - i mean im only 24! so I will think about it in the future.

I wouldnt ever donate my kids organs, god forbid if anything happened to my babies I wouldnt let anyone touch them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back