Would this put you off?

Ash_b

Reaction score
So we had decided on our names ages ago. Our family know the potential initials, one for girl and one for boy, although they don't know which is which.

Anyway the other night we were having a family dinner and my gran randomly completely slated our boy name. I was devastated but couldn't let it show because none of them realised that was the actual name we want.

Now normally I wouldn't let that put me off, but my gran has a touch of dementia and repeats herself often. If there's anyone you don't want to hate your choice in name, it's the person who will unwittingly tell you every time they see you forever!

Would you change the name? I'm 2 weeks from due date!

I don’t think it would bother me, my mum hates the name I have picked for my baby girl just cos she knows someone she doesn’t like with the same name, it’s not going to put me off and she’ll just have to learn to deal with it, out of curiosity why was she slating it so much I.e what are her reasons for disliking it?x

I don’t think it would bother me, my mum hates the name I have picked for my baby girl just cos she knows someone she doesn’t like with the same name, it’s not going to put me off and she’ll just have to learn to deal with it, out of curiosity why was she slating it so much I.e what are her reasons for disliking it?x

She said it was old fashioned and not a name anymore. She actually said "who would call their baby that?!" She has no tact because of the dementia. Maybe baby will be a girl and none of this will matter haha

As long as you absolutely love it that's all that matters. <3

Nope! My dad & hubbys nan didn’t like our first daughters name Madison. They said it was “too American” considering we’re british but we stuck with it & they grew to like it. Now it’s her name & they just become that person so I wouldn’t change it. Also, might sound a bit harsh but if she has dementia it’s likely to get worse to the point where she can’t remember she didn’t like the name & then after that forget it completely anyway..
Also people with dementia tend to get a bit irrational & arsey with everything & everyone as the condition worsens so I wouldn’t take it personally x

Let Gram name her own kids- not yours. If she has another then she gets to decide what to call it. So I say no, don't let it put you off, and correct her every time she badmouths it (just simply say you like it, ot it's a great name or something, so she knows you don't agree with her). That way by the time it's born her opinion will have softened or she may have thought about what it means to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back