Worried

Candygirl

Reaction score
Im starting to get worried
Hubby and I are in a lot of debt and I dont know how much maternity leave I will be able to take because of it.
I dont qualify for any benefits whatsoever and an IVA is out of the question

Any advice - I just feel like crying

do u work?
could u not claim income support?
maybe ring ur local jobcentre and see if they can give u any advice?
try not to worry hun im sure sumthinw ill work out xx

Not really sure what to suggest but these things usually have a way of working out wanted to give you some :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

thanks guys
I do work, pay my taxes yadda yadda yadda
but Im not a British Citizen so have no recourse to public funds at all. I cant get any help from the government.
I know its my own doing by getting into debt :evil:
Just scared we get into even more trouble cos my salary will be non existent when I have the baby...
I know everyone always makes a plan just edgy about the whole thing :cry:

Im sorry to hear of your troubles :hug: I would ring the Citizens Advice Beauro today and just ask/have a chat about what you can do.

I know you say you are not a British Citezen and you dont think you are eligiable to anything but there must be something surley. There are lots of people in your situation and although the debt will not disappear as such, there may be a way of consolidating everything onto one loan, not nessesarily an IVA.

If you have a chance today have a search on the internet for the best interest rate e.t.c try www.moneysupermarket.co.uk but first speak to Citezen Advise as it is their job to offer helpful advice!

Fingers crossed for you :hug:

T xx

I'm with Tiggy - get thee to the Citizen's Advice Buearau (sp??) otherwise known as CAB. They'll be able to give you the most wide ranging advice about how to reduce your debts or if needed deal with creditors.

Creditors are often ok if you contact them first and come up with a reasonable plan of action.

Do you not qualify for child benefit or tax credits?

When I was pregnant with my son, money was incredibly tight for the same reason. We'd overstretched ourselves, huge mortgage etc and I couldn't see how we could manage. While I was on maternity leave I did Betterware (couple of hundred quid a month extra) and a friend asked me to child mind her children (£600 a month) It still didn't make up my salary but gave us a bit of breathing space and I did that for three years till I was ready to go back to work.

What do you do for a living. Could work not let you do a dy or two from home (cash in hand) Ask if people need any work doing for them, ironing, Avon anything but you will cope, something always comes up!.

When I fell pregnant with James I was paying back a loan to the bank. Then when I started maternity leave I couldn't afford the repayments. I spoke to the Citizens Advice Beureau about it and they told me to write to the bank explaining my situation and detailing my income and expenditure and telling them what I could realistically afford to pay. The bank accepted it, apparantly they always do because they can't be bothered to go to court over it and if you genuinely can't afford the repayments the court would probably take your side anyway.
I'd definately speak to the CAB, and try not to stress about it, your not the first person to be in that position, just make sure you take action now before you start getting behind with payments :hug: :hug:

Imnot sure this will be much help but if youre worried about your outstanding debt try the National Debt Line, www.nationaldebtline.co.uk

They offer free advice through their helpline, my friend used them & said they were excellent & really helped her out.

you guys are great - thanks for all your posts

I went to the bank today to have a chat about a loan I have with them.
They said they could probably refinance my loan to bring my payments down slightly so at least that is an option.

I work in Customer Services for a recruitment company. Going back to work doesnt bug me cos in all honesty I do want to have the best of both worlds (have a baby and a career) but what does bug me is that I will probably only be able to be off for 2 months maternity because of my debts and Im not sure that is enough time to get into a routine and recover from birth (this is my first baby so have no clue as to how long it takes and what type of affect it has on ones body)

I think I will write to all my creditors and explain the situation and ask if anything can be done to help. I will pay my debts, I just need help for a few months so that I can take some time off to have and enjoy my baby.

thanks again for your advice - I do feel a bit better today! :)

I'm impressed- too many people try to pretend money worries aren't there until they are way too big to control. I think you are taking a mature and rational approach to your situation and you are tackling it head on. There have been loads of excellent suggestions for you to follow up - I would also contact citizen's advice but would be wary of refinancing the loan with the bank until you have tried all other avenues with your bank first. The important thing is to get everything in writing and be realistic. Find out from people who are mums already, the knd of costs involved in buying nappies, milk and other essentials for you and your baby so that you can look at your budget and see how much you will need on a weekly basis. Good luck- money is crap when you don't have enough xxx

thanks hun
I need to look at my budget as a whole and see where we can cut down
Thank goodness I get SMP, so thats at least £400 odd pounds, now I just need to find another £1000.
We will be ok - everyone goes through it at some point in their life - mine was just bad timing.

Thanks for the support
Candy
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27