Worried, please help.

MariaIsabella

Reaction score
Worried sick now. Have been drinking Perrier water though my whole pregnancy.. At least a liter a day since I like it so much and prefer it over natural water. thought it was totally fine but now I read it contacts lots of Nitrates that can cause Birth Defects!!

Does anyone know if this is true?

I've never heard of not drinking it in pregnancy before...just had a Google and everything I can see states that it's safe in pregnancy, in fact it's good for you if anything xx

Probably panicking for nothing but it was a friend of mine who said it was bad and she had read it. She sent me this link http://www.aquamaestro.com/nitrates.asp

"Pregnancy
There is a proven correlation between birth defects and high nitrate levels in the carrying mother. Pregnant women must avoid drinking water with nitrate-nitrogen levels greater than 10 mg/l. "

Perrier has 18mg/l

thanks

I drank fizzy water for 9 months of my last pregnancy nothing else she's perfectly fine x

Thanks, I am sure I overreact but that site scared me. I think its particularly Perrier that is high in nitrates. Not sure if its true or not! x

Hi Maria I've never heart about this but I honestly think that if there was a genuine chance that it could cause birth defects they would have to put some kind of warning on the bottle. I would check with midwife but I'm sure it'll be fine xx

Thanks ladies!

Did check with midwife and she didn't seem to know for sure if bad or not but just said to start drinking more normal water from now on.. Did not really make me feel better since I have been drinking Perrier since the start up until 15 weeks! Nothing I can do about it now but surely more people than I would have done this? It was the only thing I could drink when I had ms since normal water made me sick and no one ever told me not to drink it!

Its always something! I don't even know if tap water is much better with all the chloride and potential lead risks..

xx

I live on fizzy water as I just can't stomach normal water, I'm sure it's fine I've never heard of anything like it and come on, some women drink, smoke and do drugs during pregnancy - and sometimes have healthy babies aside from all that so try not to worry, I'm sure it will be fine. I'm in the same boat as you because I drink it every day xx

Time to throw some maths into the mix. Just because something increases risk it doesn't mean it is something to worry over. If I buy 1 lottery ticket and you buy 2, you are twice as likely as me to win. I still don't think either of us will be millionaires come the weekend.

In this case the stats I can find are based on a study in the USA from 2013: http://www.environmentalhealthnews.org/ehs/newscience/2013/06/nitrate-in-moms-drinking-water/
They conclude that a mother with a baby born with certain birth defects was almost twice as likely to have consumed 5.42 milligrams of nitrate daily. But what does that actually mean?

In the USA approx 1 in 1500 babies are born with a cleft palate. If you double your risk by consuming more nitrates than they recommend (and the study, by the way, does not necessarily mean that you do) then that would mean 2 in 1500 babies. Still great odds on having a baby with a normal palate. Most birth defects are less likely than cleft palate, so the difference this study reveals is even smaller in those more worrying cases.

Also - cause and effect is very difficult to prove when it comes to these things. The researchers interviewed the mothers of babies after they were born - asking them to estimate how much water they drank per day throughout pregnancy, and where that water came from (bottled, tap, filtered etc). Not the most precise way of gathering the information. There is no mention of taking other factors into account here. Do women who consume bottled (still) water instead of tap water (i.e. significantly less nitrates in their water) have more money and therefore better nutrition in general for instance?

In short - don't panic. I'm sure your baby is fine. Newspapers love headlines like 'this thing that everyone eats every day increases your risk of cancer by 50%!!!!', but they are never all that good at explaining that an increase of 50% might actually only mean that your risk has gone from 1 in 1000 to 1.5 in 1000.

Thank you, you are very right. Spoke to a medical student I know who has specialized in this area and he basically said it was BS and I can drink water with Nitrate and it will have no effect. The studies have not been proven 100% and like you mention, the risk, even if it doubles is still very very low!

Its just so easy to get drawn into these scare stories but you can basically google anything and the word cancer will appear somewhere.

Thanks again and feel calm about this now xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back