Worried my doctor isnt telling me something....

futuremummy237

Reaction score
Okay, this sounds like i'm being paranoid (plenty of that in pregnancy) but I need some advice about my doctors appointment the other day (sorry about the essay!).....

I'm a nurse and have been on nights for 2 weeks. I've been ill with a chest infection for about 10 weeks, and i'm one of these people who definitely doesn't practice what they preach and hardly ever go to the drs unless i'm desperate. Anyhow, on my last 2 nights I have felt really faint, had palpatations and so have got my collegues to do my observations, which has shown that my blood pressure is higher than normal for me. I normally have a systolic (the top number of a BP) of around 100 to 120, which is absolutely fine. However, now it is rarely underneath 150. Also, my blood sugar was low at 4 despite me eating lots. Now if these were in my patients, I wouldnt be worried but because they are out of my norm, I was.

So, I went to my drs and said i'm finding it difficult at work because I keep being faint, having palpitations and my hips and back are killing me, and I also have this chest infection going on (I should have gone ages ago really).

Anyway, he has given me antibiotics to take for the CI. But when he did my BP, he did it 3 times in the space of 10 mins, and said after each time said 'Oh i will do it in a minute to see if it settles' and then he never told me what it was. He's booked me in on thursday to 'check if the antibitoics are working' but I doubt there will be much of a difference in 3 days of oral abx so I wonder if he has alterior motives because of my BP. And he has signed me off work for 10 days.

Hmmm, what do you think? Am I just being paranoid? Sorry about the essay, my posts are always long!

x

I'd be a bit worried too hun, its horrible being on the other side as a patient isn't it? If the doc was really worried, he would have sent you up to antenatal day unit, but your BP may well have been borderline?

Sounds like your doc got a fairly good idea what you are like avoiding him, so the check up later in the week may well be to try and get to know you a bit too and encourage you to come in more? All sounds reassuring you have a good doc though.

I'm in educated in the ways of medicine but flisstebs advice sounds very plausible and fits the bill. Try not to worry.

Take the 10 days and run with it, after 10 werks of chest infection, sounds like some downtome to recouperate and look after yourself could be just what you need, relax and pop feet up and look after yourself x

Yes, 10 days off is going to be nice because I really do think I have worked myself to the point of exhaustion and finally something has got to give. I just feel so guilty because we are so understaffed, but I have to keep reminding myself that its not my problem and I have other priorities! I should have gone ages ago, but kept tellingmyself that the chest infection would go next week, then I wouldnt have time to go to the GPs if it didnt and so on, until it got to now.

So you guys dont think there is anything to worry about? He would have sent me up to EPU if there was something wrong surely? Thank you, you have made me feel much better! x

I think if he was really worried, he would have done something. Even the most inept doctors can take and diagnose high BP.

I think he would have told you if he had any major concerns and sent you to anti natal for a check - he probe just wants to see if the rest and antib's have brought your blood pressure down.
As others have said, try not to worry, put your feet up and rest some - hope you feel better soon x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back