Worried about sisters child.

Sally+Baby

Reaction score
Hi everyone

My sisters little girl will be 7 in feb. The thing I'm worried about - she can't read, can't spell and can JUST write her own name. She does some of her letters backwards aswel. Her speech is terrible too :( Her Dad is also dyslexic.

I can't really say anything to my sister about how behind she seems to be, just wondering if she's got something wrong or she's just a slow developer.

Thanks x

doesnt sound right to me hun, i teach children that age and she should be doing more than that, do u know if she is on special needs or have an iep, maybe you could go with your sister to her next sen review and see what they have to say.

I have a 7 year old daughter and I know they all develop at different rates but she can read really well and write perfectly including spelling. I'm surprised the teacher hasn't picked up on it and got some help but I would say that does sound like she's a bit behind ad she should try to get some help.

Something isn't right here but i understand you not wanting to say anything to your sister. Maybe a little word about how she is getting on at school then at least the chance is then open to say what you want to.

Well Tia at the age of 7 couldn't really write or read, (she still struggles spelling her surname) and her speech was poor enough that her teacher made a mention of it, and wrote a letter to our GP so that we could get her referred to further help.

She visited a special needs therapist/speech therapist twice a week for an hour each time... and in a year she has made amazing progress and can now read and write both English and Spanish and her speech is totally recognisable.

Tbh it doesn't sound like there is anything majorly wrong but she probably does need some extra help.

Just be honest with your sister... there's nothing to be ashamed of... but it will be a shame if your sister's little girl doesn't get some help.. It's surprising just how intelligent these little kids are.. and they are desperate to learn about the world around them, only that knowledge is held in books so they can't get to it.. .

Thanks everyone. My sister doesn't seem to think theres anything wrong, she says Alice is doing really well at school :?
She does excell at maths, way above her age, but something definitely isn't right with her speech and writing etc.
Her 5 year old son can't do anything either, and her 2 year old hasn't said a word yet :(

I don't know how to say it to my sister...To be honest she doesn't really do much to help them. She doesn't read to them or help the write etc... :(
Hope that doesn't come across nasty :roll:

paris is dyslexic too along with being autistic and having adhd - she needs registering as special needs and they can create an iep as someone else mentioned, they have special programmes in school that can bring them on :hug:

The main difficulty here seems to be that your sister doesnt agree that her LO has a problem. All the advice the girls have given you is sterling and I agree with Squig that you should be honest with your sis, if I hadnt accepted that my son, Vic had learning disabilities, it would have made it very difficult for him to keep up at school. Because his problems were detected, like Squig's Tia, he has received (and continues to receive) help at school with reading, writing, etc.
Keep trying with your sister, but I would be careful not to alienate her.

Difficult call for you, but what I will say is that you are a SUPER aunt to care so much.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back