worried about money/maternity leave

Sophie_P

Reaction score
I currently work 22 hours per week and my OH is signed off work permanently for a lung condition. I've just done some number crunching and I'm worried about the pennies when baby arrives. I was planning on going back to work when baby is six months, now i'm thinking I will have to push it back even more. I will be breastfeeding so won't have to think about formula.
I've told my oh the numbers and she is panicking too and saying we will struggle "What about clothes, wipes and everything else" and now it's making me panic. I feel so bad if I can't give this baby everything it needs x

I think no matter how much money people have, a new baby is always a worry financially. We bought so much unnecessary stuff with my first baby, a boy. Then when I had my daughter I went crazy cause I was having a girl. Both kids had clothes that never had the tags taken off. This time round I'm sticking with the basics clothes wise. Not bothering with a Moses basket. Our major issue is we already have 2 kids who live with us, and my step daughter weekends. So we will need a new car.

I have a stepson who lives with us and a oh who doesn't work so the pressure is on to return to work quickly as possible so we don't struggle as much x

Have you thought about other things that might help cut costs a bit - like rusable nappies and reusable wipes.

My husband earns less than half of what I do

Ill be back at work after 6 months - and he will leave his job - if his mum helps with care he may be able to go back part time But arnt holding out breath- I intend to breast feed for first few weeks definatley not long term so weening is no problem etc

I'm as worried as you are- we have a wack of debt which doesn't help. Have you done the benefits calculator to see how much your entitled to with your step son and new baby? I'm sure you'll qualify for a great amount of support due to the income espically if your OH is claiming incapacity benefit - you may be able to get the £500 grant ??

I think no one is ever financially ready for a baby unless your minted- but we all make do and prioritise finances etc

Chin up it will work out I'm sure x

I'm worried about this too. I have a huge amount of debt, my OH earns very little and I am being made redundant at end of my maternity leave. God knows what will happen :( x

I think we will qualify for the grant, yes. I'll be breastfeeding until weaned and expressing at the same time. Think we are just panicking but oh's can say things in better ways hey. She just keeps saying "Well how do I know everything will be okay" x

There's very little a baby really needs. You could go down the reusable nappy route, but it is quite a high start up cost. If you want disposables, Look at Aldi brand nappies as they are cheap. Or asdas little angels are supposed to be pretty good.

You picked up the bounty packs and Emma diaries packs? You get a couple of freebies in there.

Go to nearly new table top sales (look on nct website for one near you), I picked up a load of vests and babygrows for less than a fiver.

Car boots. With my first I got a vibrating chair and play gym for £10.

Lots of bargains to be had :)

Wipes can be pricey, consider washable wipes. Don't get cheeky wipes though...they are pricey, all you need is the wipes and water, maybe a zip lock bag or Tupperware box to keep them in when going out. And a wet bag to store used ones. Or just use them at home, and only use disposable wipes when out

When you need a high chair look at the Ikea antilop - its dirt cheap and easy to clean. So cheap we bought one to have at each of the grandparents houses.

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

If you haven't been there already, check out the moneysavingexpert.com forums. It's a wealth of information. The old style board is great for making the pennies go further with food.

Did you factor in child benefit too?

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

I would also suggest visiting your local citizens advice bureau too

See if you have a toy library in your area. Toys can be expensive and this way you get lots of variety

I wouldn't worry too much about toys. My friend bought her little girls loads if things before she was born and when she had her everyone bought toys and now she's so overrun she had to give some away

My god son came over for the day- he had loads of expensive toys and trikes and paddling pool etc

Guess what kept him entertained all afternoon...

Ice cubes in a plastic bowl with a plastic picnic spoon :lol:

He's a year old lol

eBay is brilliant! Watch items you like and if there looks to be another person bidding, don't bid until last minute - keeps price down. My friend got a full M&P travel system (should have been £1000 at time) for £50 and then bought a new set of covers from M&P at £30 xx

This is something that has really been worrying me recently because although I have a full time job, my partner is a full time student. We are 6 days off getting occupational maternity pay, and I have been worried for weeks what we are going to do when baby is here because my partner gets no support because he doesnt actually live with me and therefore isnt considered as having parental responsibility. Therefore, I went on a rampage trying to find out information and was actually surprised at the support you can get from the government, such as child tax credits, working tax credits and child benefits. Also, if you are renting you can get help with housing and council tax, the amount which depends on which area you live in. You can get information for this by making an appointment at your local citizens advice bureau, and I can imagine that you will get quite a bit of support from considering your other half is not working and you will have a dependant.

On accounts of things for the baby, stuff really doesnt have to be as expensive as people make out! Everything I have got so far has been second hand and I have saved myself hundreds. You can get these off nearly new sales from nct in your area, just google to see when they are on. Car boot sales are good. See if any of your family or friends have any baby things that they would like to sell. Go on freegle, preloved, ebay, there are some great bargains to be had! Also, I have got a lot of things from second hand baby site on facebook in my local area, that has been a godsend! Babies are in clothes for such a short time there really isnt much point spending loads of money on them, and remember how many presents you will get when the baby is born!!

Im sorry if this isnt much help. But remember, we live in a society where there is an awful lot of support available, especially when children are involved! I know it seems impossible but you will manage just as we all will, no matter how difficult it gets :) xx

Just for info, anyone on a repayment mortgage may be able to reduce their monthly outgoings during maternity leave by switching to interest only payments whilst they are off. It may help to free up some much welcome cash but obviously affects the amount of your mortgage that you pay off whilst you're on maternity leave. Try speaking to your lender to discuss options. xxx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back