Worried about babys development? Opinions! Is my LO behind?

MamaJay

Reaction score
My lo is 23 weeks old. Shes a bundle of joy but there's a few things she still cant do yet. I'll list them

*Rolling over from tummy to back OR back to tummy (she arches her back and turns her head...she is trying BUT still havent achieved it yet.)
*Toys- toys are an issue, she will pick them put and put them in her mouth but she wont really play.
*Grasp- She will grasp things but shes pretty slow at doing it. But if i lay her on her back or tummy she only sometimes reach OUT for them. The strength of her grasp however is nice an strong..

Things she can do though are...

*She could sit up unaided without support from 20 weeks old. (as you can see in my profile pic haha!)
*She can bear weight on her legs (not hold her own weight up unaided yet though)
*She can bounce up and down in her jumperoo easily
*She can hold her attention to something (if a flashing toy is on or the tv or a song)
*If i sit her on my knee she recognises me, laughs and gurgles and blows raspberries

My question is, i see babies rolling and loving toys her age the only toy she 'loves' is her jumperoo!
It makes me worry im doing something wrong??

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry if she can sit up unaided I'm sure my little one could sit up but didn't sit up unaided until 7-8 months of age. And my little one had the get up and go mentality and is speech delayed! Have a look in the books, some things do require a leap so they understand it mentally if you get what I mean?

23wks is still a young age to expect to much, each child is different, some children are on it instantly mainly boys but others are a bit slower, do you place toys in areas to encourage to roll xx

Hi she sounds like she is doing great to me. My boy is 7 months he can roll both ways, grasps toys and puts them in his mouth and bangs them around but doesn't "play" as such. He can bare weight on his legs loves to jump up and down. However be can not sit unaided and don't think will be for at least another few weeks!! What I'm trying to say is all babies develop differently. She sounds heathy and happy and I'm sure she will do all the things at her own pace!

Don't worry too much, you're list of things she CAN do is just as big as the list of things she can't. I was worried my Lo seemed behind socially compared to friends babies but actually she my only child ATM and spends nearly all her time with just me, evenings with my oh to and then we see other people and babies once or twice a week so I shouldn't be surprised she's not as friendly and sociable as the babies who have brothers and sisters and go to baby groups all the time, however in other ways she's much further forward.

She will get there

Have you got a good range of different toys, ie soft toys, stacking cups, rattles, "touchy-feely" books (sorry can't thing what they're called)? So she has lots of choice when it comes to playing

Ive got all kinds of toys, cora the smart cub....rattles teethers lamaze toys play arches etc.....light up she will look at them and touch them but she lives for that jumperoo! haha! Thanks girls....i think your right babys develop different. Shes six months on the 26th of this month. I might start encouraging more sensory play.... any ideas?

Last edited:
Hiya just wanted to say as a mum of an almost 10 mth old the jumperoo was fantastic when she was 5-7mths but now she can sit and recently started crawling she can only take 10mins in jumperoo before she wants out bless her, make the most of it while you can lol, I liked the jumperoo cos meant for 10mins could get some dishes done or something, now she's on the move will be using it for exactly that lol...our lil miss didnt seem to want to sit early on and didnt sit unaided til 7mths which I thought was late but once she did the reaching and then crawling went from there...agree with another poster do you put toys she likes (perhaps ones that light up) just above her head and to the side she seems to prefer trying to roll? I did this and we worked with her for an hour each day for about a week helping her roll when she had the eye contact and eventually she did it herself. As for rolling from tummy to back she took a while at that and realised that all she needed was a balance shift to figure it out so used to put myself above her head and speak to her and when she tried to look her body naturally leant, and rolled over...exciting discoveries, enjoy each one lol...

Do you go to playgroups with her? This is a great way to develop x

Don't worry too much. My LG could sit up unaided at 5 months. Then started rolling at 6 months. In the last couple of weeks she now does both ways front to back back to front. Now she's figured it there is no stopping her. She's only started living her toys the past few weeks maybe since Christmas she's been able to keep her attention playing for longer. It sounds like your lg is doing absolutely fine.

I don't think it helps when people post every little thing their baby can do on social media. I knew a little boy who was crawling at 5 months and walki g at the age my lg is now. No way would I want her walking yet haha x

Oh I also found my lg first started rolling on our bed maybe as it's soft. Obvs never left her alone but worth a try if you put some things she may want out of reach x

Last edited:
DS1 was a pretty average developer. Rolled front to back at 12 weeks, back to front at 7 months, sat unaided at 6.5 months, crawled at 9 months, walked at 13.5 months. He's still babbling and only says 3 or 4 words at 19.5 months.

DS2 on the other hand is a machine. He rolled both ways by 12 weeks, is already trying to crawl at 5.5 months and is almost sitting up unaided. He will purposefully and deliberately take steps if you take most of his weight and put his feet on the floor.

Every baby is so different and, as the others have said, develop at completely different speeds. She's mastered sitting unaided before most children her age but hasn't mastered rolling like most children of her age so it's swings and roundabouts. Try not to worry :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back