Work problems

KeelyT90

Reaction score
Hi Ladies, I am looking for abit of advice.....

I currently work in admin 3 days a week in a small firm. Over the last few weeks, I feel as though my manager is picking at me and it is really getting me down.

First off, I was taken aside 2 weeks ago and told I didn't conduct my time well, when I gave reasons, they wasn't good enough, none of my answers were, she then said I just don't seem to work well I know you're pregnant and in pain but its not good enough......
Firstly, I never once mentioned my discomfort or my pregnancy so I feel abit discriminated considering she brought it up like I had used it as an excuse.
I work 3 days a week and have 4 account 5 accounts to look after, however, every day I am in I am on the phone rota and it is a very busy time of year and we have been short staffed for some time now.
I was also told that I have a bad attitude on the phone to customers, which I really don't think I did and when I asked if there had been a complaint, she said no.

Over the last 2 weeks she has suggested some upcoming changes which have not taken affect as of yet.
Also, during this time I received an email asking when I last updated one of my accounts, when I replied, she responded "Are you sure?" Well I am not lying.....
I do not work Friday, I was sick Monday, do not work Tuesday, I have come in today and she kindly shouted across the office in front of 5 other staff members that my invoicing & one of my accounts weren't up to date, well I haven't exactly been in since Thursday last week. I felt humiliated with everyone looking at me, so belittled.
A couple hours later she has emailed saying someone else will be updating one of the accounts so she will be sending me jobs to do via email and I must reply when done so she can "File away" In other words you're monitoring my workload..............

I'm really upset with this, I dont understand where this has all come from. I feel like I naughty school girl. It is getting to the point where I dread coming to work and am willing the weeks until maternity leave, I really do not want to come back after maternity leave either.
I feel victimised.
I considered speaking with HR but its such a small company nothing would get done or it would just cause more of an atmosphere, I've seen it done here a few times until the person has given up and left.
I am taking notes of the incidents, writing down the date & time, who was there and what was said.
I'm just wary of taking it further because I know it will make my time very uncomfortable.

Isn't your employer suppose to prevent stress at work when you're pregnant, not cause it and make you feel utterly shite x

Hi honey so sorry to hear this.

If I were you, I would contact the citizen's advice bureau and ask for their help. My gut tells me you should take it further and make a formal complaint, providing all that info. You're pregnant and this will cause you stress... the last thing you need.

They may put you on gardening leave (paid) whilst it's being investigated so you aren't uncomfortable at work. Then you may decide to leave after maternity leave is up.

Don't let her make you feel you can't speak up or be afraid of drama - you can use the citizen's advice to ensure you are informed as to what your rights are and what the law states and go in armed with that info to HR.

Gl x

Sorry Hun, to be honest I'd go to the doctor and get signed of with work stress - if it says work stress on your note your employer should investigate what is causing your stress. You should speak to HR just so it's on record and definitely speak to citizens advice xx

Agree with the above. Try ACAS as well, have been helpful with me in situations before. Keep making notes, this may not sound the way it's meant to, but it's your proof that things are happening, bosses can easily try and say that they never did anything, again I know that from experience. I think once you have spoken to ACAS or citizens advice, you should then think about going to HR and tell them that you believe you are being bullied or treated differently due to being pregnant, it is against the law to discriminate against pregnancy, they should act upon it.

Hope things get better for you, it's not good feeling crap about it all x

I agree with all the above so I won't bother typing out the same advice, you shouldn't be made to feel like that in a work place and she needs reporting or a complaint made against her for treating you that way.

Make sure you look after yourself and try and not get too stressed, if it gets too much take sick leave under work stress conditions and it shouldn't go against you maternity leave allowance

I hope things improve for you x

Thanks for all of your replies, I am starting to note everything now so I have a record of most of the incidents, then they can see how far it has been going on. The if I do decide to go off with work related stress I have notes to back me up if and when investigated.
It is just absolutely awful, I shouldn't have to dread coming to work and be made out that I am some snotty nosed teenager. I am a grown woman and I always considered myself a nice person, how dare she put me down like this x

Last edited:
You're definitely being unfairly bullied.

If you can get an email trail from her that may also help.

Good luck with it, you don't deserve this xx

I had problems at work whilst pregnant I went to acas and citizens advice and they said I had to follow the complaints procedure so HR. They said only I had put in a grievance and spoken with HR I could then use them. Luckily once work I was serious they stopped all the crap. I also got my union involved and I had an email trail. Hope you sort it. I'd go of sick, I did that before and got gardening leave x

Do you want to go back after baby?

I'm having something similar - 16 weeks and my maternity cover is arriving in 3 weeks because my antenatal appointments are inconvenient...apparently I need to hand over my boring stuff...which equates to my actual job and pic up ad hoc stuff they might be able to find me... :-(

First thing I did was contact HR and ask to speak to Occupational Health as they are claiming this is all for my welfare.. I haven't had a days sick since I got pregnant!! and then my next step is HR my friend got signed off with PGP (she asked he GP to put that as her work were doing the same thing to her and she didn't want to put stress) he signed her off for 4 months and she had no intention of going back after baby so that was that - I think they paid her off in the end

I was planning on returning yes as the days are very convenient. With the way things are now I really don't think I want to but our finances won't allow me to be out of work and it is going to be hard to find a job to fit in around my 3 days childcare.

I decided I had enough last week, gathered all my notes together and wrote to HR looking for support as I feel I am being treated unfairly and victimised and this is something my maternity rights should protect me against.

So far, HR hasn't been in the office since I sent the email Thursday. I know she is expected in at some point this week though to run pay roll. Just so nervous and overwhelmed with dread. The atmosphere is horrible.

I hope things improve after hr have been in x

I had a meeting with HR yesterday, they're sending me some info within the week. They've spoken to the manager to make her aware of the situation. HR advised the grievance procedure will be followed now and a meeting between us will be held next Monday.
I just feel so uncomfortable now knowing she knows I've raised the complaint. But if I hadn't she would continue to treat me unfairly.
Lose lose situation I guess :( the last thing I wanted was more upset and stress, I'm meant to enjoy being pregnant and I'm so consumed in stress and worry over work I just can't :( x

At least you are being taken seriously, and the very last thing you need is harm to come to your pregnancy through the stress which I imagine if you hadn't of complained would only get worse. She now has to tread carefully as anything she says to you out of line you can report to HR and she could technically lose her job ... Sometimes you just have to do these things ... No matter how crap you feel doing them ... Remember your baby is number one and you are in joint place with baby considering you are carrying it. Make sure you are looked after, you are both priority, work stress and bullying will only cause harm to you and your baby and the quality of work you do. Really she has shot herself in the foot and won worst manager of the year award x

As my barrister would say, "but for the abuse, you wouldn't have had to complain to HR"

Your manager has brought all this on herself and needs to learn quickly that it's not on xx

I'm glad you reported it, but sorry you had to. Like you say, although you're nervous about what's going to happen the alternative is that you would have carried on being treated unfairly.

Try not to worry you have done the right thing, good luck for the meeting

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back