work prediciment.....

tinkerbell*

Reaction score
hey everyone!
i have something that is on my mind and dunno what to do...
i work in a nirsery at an NHS hospital... well i dont want my manager to know i am pregnant YET (as i am only 6weeks and dont want anyone knowing... dont wana tempt fate etc etc)...

i work mon-fri and when i go for a m/w appointment it will probs be in work time... what do i tell my manager and other members of staff... AND.... i look after lots of the midwifes children.... how am i going to keep this a secret :doh:
????????? even if a pull a sicky... i know i will get stopped by someone from work of one of the 100's of parents whos kids i look after....

?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?!??! i dunno what to do :wall:

sorry for my mini rank! lol

mmmmm tough one!!! i would just say you have an important appt that you cant miss!!! they may be a bit narky but when you do tell them you are pregnant they will completly understand!! it is against the law for an employer to refuse a pregnant woman time off for ante-natel appts without pay when pregnant!! hope all goes well for you!!

i didn't have my first midwife appt til 13 weeks so i told work the week before - i was starting to feel a bit off in the mornings around then too, so i wanted them to know at that point, in case i was late in...

xx

Just say you have a doctors appointment. They should be fine with that. If you work Mon-Fri its not like you can really get there outside of work hours. Most employers are ok with time off for a medical reason. You don't have to tell them you are pregnant, you are under no obligation. But if things do get sticky then maybe talk to someone senior and inform them its for maternity reasons and you'd like it kept confidential from everyone else please. Try to have your MW appointment for first thing and that way hopefully you'll not even miss a couple of hours. Or if she runs an afternoon session, make it for as late as possible and leave a bit early.

There are ways round things if you really don't wish to tell anyone at work yet :) Unless they are all miserable and mean having time off for a medical appointment is fine. And they don't need to know anything else about it.

And if your MW turns out to be someone you know because of your work, let her know you are not telling people yet. She has to respect your privacy and can't talk about you to other people as you are a patient. You should be treated the same as any other person on her books in that respect.

But surely your MW appointment will be via your GP's surgery and won't be anywhere near the hospital also? It shouldn't be you'll be seen going in the doors or anything by people. Chances are there might be someone you know in the waiting room, but if you don't act like there is something up, they won't think anything either probably.

Hi

I think, like me, her appointment is going to be at the maternity unit.

I think that even if you bump into one of the MW's you know, they are bound by confidentiality. Re-iterate this point with them if they speak to you about it. Make it clear you want it kept secret until a later date.

It is up to you when and how you tell people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back