Work and early pregnancy

Rhelen91

Reaction score
I work in retail, and today I'm on the closing shift, starting at 2pm. So I have to do all the cleaning at the end. Collapsing the trolleys in the stock room, hoovering all the mats at the front of the store, carrying the hanger boxes from the shop floor up to the stockroom and emptying them, polishing the tillpoints, cleaning the changing rooms and then sweeping and mopping the shop floor. This usually takes an hour to complete with 2 of us, but tonight its just me. I'm feeling a bit worried, like I shouldn't be doing it all when pregnant, especially the lifting and carrying things up stairs!

Also during my shift on the shop floor I have to remain standing or walking around, as we dont have any stools or seats behind the till points. During my last pregnancy I was told there simply isnt room to put a stool or seat, and that I'd just have to deal with standing for long periods of time. I was still expected to carry out most of my regular duties, including pulling the trolleys, lifting, bending, etc.

What does everybody else do at at work? And how are you coping with balancing work and pregnancy?

Hi RHelen91. From what i have read on the government websites regarding the rights of pregnant employees, your employer has a duty of care towards you during this time. You ccan request for a shift with less manual work involved and they will have to work with you on that. You should put it in writing to them. According to the law employers should make life easier and safer for pregnant employees. Good luck

Last edited:
I feel your pain :( I'm a nurse doing 13 hour shifts on a busy medical ward.... It's pretty gruelling, but the tiredness has eased off a lot!!! So it's getting a little easier at the minute but I'm dreading 3rd trimester for the work side of things :( xxxx

Sounds like hard work! Sam is right- by law they have to make adaptations e.g. If there isn't room for a stool, you need to be given more breaks. I would just politely speak to them and go from there x

I work in a care home, so lots of lifting and manouvring of residents, some of them weighing approx 18/19 stone. My work have been very understanding and have basically left it up to me to decide what I can and cant do. To be honest I havent changed anything except for not dealing with one particular resident as they have very poor mobility and are unsteady and very heavy. Other than that I am carrying on as normal. I feel very tired after a shift but I think alot of that is just because I am within the first three months.

Thanks ladies. Work wasnt too bad tonight, due to a few rota changes there ended up being another girl in with me tonight who was happy to get the buckets and carry the hanger boxes, so I ended up doing all the other little jobs that didnt require any lifting.

I can imagine working in nursing/care can be very difficult and exhausting at the very best of time, nevermind when pregnant. I hope you're both managing okay and your employers continue to be reasonable about your workload :)

I havent yet told my work but will after my early scan.

Ive just not lifted heavy case notes or always used a trolley. Avoided climbing as have says my back is sore :lol: luckily my scan is next week dunno how long I can play out a bad back :lol:

Just make sure your keeping yourself hydrated and take it at your own pace avoiding heavy lifting when you can. If your rotad in again alone and this time no one comes Id perhaps say then. Dont wana over exert yourself.

xxxx

I was hoping to hold off telling my boss until after I've taken my holidays. I've got a week off after next week so by time I go back I'll be about 11 weeks and my scan is due a few days after that. Once I know everything is okay I'll be happier with people knowing. I've only got one closing shift next week though and there's 2 of us rotad in, so I should be able to manage :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back