Won't take a bottle

Becky1

Reaction score
I'm struggling to keep up with my little mans demand for feeding and am considering introducing formula feeds at night. We've been trying a few bottles of expressed milk recently but he hates bottles (he won't take a dummy either). Anyone been through this and got any tips on how to get lo's to take a bottle?

Hi Becky

Which type of bottles have you tried? I'm using tommee tippee close to nature ones with the wide neck bottle. So far she takes the bottle and manages to latch on a few times a day, but doesnt entertain having a dummy.

Have you tried expressing a bit into a bottle so that when you're introduing the bottle its the same milk that he's used to?

Sorry don't have much else to suggest, just keep trying I guess.
xx

How old is your LO Becky?

I had this with Madison, she took a bottle for a while, then I tried one night and she screamed blue murder for the boob.
It took my a good few weeks to get her to take it in the end.

I fed her from either her bouncer/car seat/propped up with cushions so that she didn't associate the feed with bfing iykwim. It eventually worked and now she will happily take the bottle. I used formula when introducing the bottle as I was so upset seeing bm wasted and being poorer away, I started with 2oz's to begin with and went from there.

We use MAM bottles as well which are easy to use, anti colic and self sterilising in the microwave so no need for a steriliser.

Good Luck xx

A second vote here for the MAM bottles. They have a flatter different shaped teat to all other bottles and seem to be easier for LO to suck from. I use the anti colic bottles and they're so easy. X x

Been through this and spent a fortune in the process!

Breastflow bottles worked for us, had to order them from Amazon

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Hi

Thanks for the tips ladies.

LO is 4 weeks today (wheres that gone)! I was using avent bottles with expressed milk in.

I mentioned my issues to a friend who brought me a mimijumi bottle - AMAZING - he took 4oz and no crying. So pleased :) Could be a different story feeding tomorrow tho!

Hi!
i have kinda the same problem!
My baby is formula feeding. We started with Aptamil. He was ok till he reached 2 months. He was calm not colicy, just refusing to drink. He also didnt gain weight.

He is now 5 months and the nightmare continues. He he is losing weight. I started with solids but he doesnt eat either.

The doctors didnt make any test. They say they dont know why this is happening.

Symptoms:

He refuses to drink,

arches his back when he drinks,

drinks only a little and then he is fussy and moves his head,

he is gassy and has problems with burping, he burps a lot.

can someone tell me what could this be?

Hi!
i have kinda the same problem!
My baby is formula feeding. We started with Aptamil. He was ok till he reached 2 months. He was calm not colicy, just refusing to drink. He also didnt gain weight.

He is now 5 months and the nightmare continues. He he is losing weight. I started with solids but he doesnt eat either.

The doctors didnt make any test. They say they dont know why this is happening.

Symptoms:

He refuses to drink,

arches his back when he drinks,

drinks only a little and then he is fussy and moves his head,

he is gassy and has problems with burping, he burps a lot.

can someone tell me what could this be?

It could just be the formula making him extra windy, in which case another brand might work (sometimes what works when they’re newborns doesn’t work when they’re past that 2-3mo mark). But it could also be a cows milk protein allergy. The arching, pulling away and being very windy makes me think the milk is hurting his tummy. I’d have a chat with a GP, they can get him on prescription formula if they think that’s the best option. My first born was exactly like you describe whenever she had a bottle and her problem was lactose intolerance causing stomach pain/wind (not very common in babies, CMPA is the more likely one). Once she was on lactose free milk she was fine. Good luck x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back