windows live update warning! help needed

fothers

Reaction score
I did windows updates yesterday on my laptop and it asked me if I wanted to update internet explorer/windows live so I did.

Last night when I used computer again for first time since doing so I went to log into my hotmail account- saved on my favourites and normally does it automatically- I had to retype the password which I did- the correct one, spelt correctly and using lower case etc and it said it was wrong. IT is not bl**dy wrong :x

Now I have tried it so many times that it thinks I am trying to hack my account and wants me to go through security checks to give me a new password. This is the only email address I use and I have had it 6y. I have no idea the answers to the questions- one is postcode- I moved house loads around the time I signed up due to a bad breakup anf have no idea what the postcode was. It also says it will send it to an alternate email address that I assume would need to be registered at the time and as it was my first email address I probably didn't put down an alternative as I wouldn't have one.

I don't have any important stored emails etc that I can't live without but it is more the address book that is the issue :x

SOOOO anyway, sorry for the rant- watch out if you do the update because I have checked on line and it seems other people have had this issue too, not just me.

If anyone can help, that would be great :pray: :cry:

Its been years since I used Windows so can't help much. There are ways around it (like going in via MSN and logging in etc but I can't recall exactly how)

All I will say is its always good to have a back up email account online somewhere, be it Yahoo, Gmail or some such. And exporting your address book somewhere aswell is a must as online accounts are sometimes, as you have found unable to be accessed.

I'd also if running Windows be inclined to use Outlook and run my email into that so never having the problems you are facing now. You can get an email address with whatever hosting company you use and set it up easily enough. And you can also run other accounts into it aswell.

Personally Hotmail is a shitty email to use IMO, spam loves it and its far from good set up wise and alas can stuff up because of updates it seems. Once you get access to your account, just leave it as your back up and go get another one with Yahoo or Gmail. They won't ever be affected by Windows updates. And also look into using Outlook :)

Good luck. Sorry I can't help more. Its problems like you have that made me hate Windows and stop using it :roll:

You could try the Restore option but have no idea if it works.

Do any of these other posts elsewhere not tell you how they fixed it? I'd think somewhere someone posted how. I'd hope :roll:

Thanks Sherlock- I have now got a gmail for the time being. I also looked on line and it suggested deleting cookies etc which I have done but now can't remember passwords for some things like here that I was logged onto all the time and obviously they can't email them to me so I am in a bit of a pickle. Hence the new user name here :wall:

I did used to use outlook on our main computer but recently have only ever used the laptop and the main computer has now been changed for my OH work. I have some addresses on outlook that I should hopefully be able to save but not my full address book.

if you email the help centre and explain, they take a while to reply but they normally fix it for you, ive done this before and they gave me a new password

I emailed the help centre last night- the first one they sent is the standard response have you spelt it write etc, try these things- which I have done and haven't worked- so I have replied to the email like they suggested and am just waiting til a live person answers it rather than an automated response.

Thanks everyone :hug:

fothers2 said:
Thanks Sherlock- I have now got a gmail for the time being.

Stick with Gmail and keep Hotmail as your backup when you get back into it. Honestly you won't have log in problems again like this as Windows updates won't affect other online email set ups. And Gmail really is good. Really, Hotmail is crap and chances are this kind of problem will happen in the future. I loathe Microsoft and won't use their OS anymore. I'm on Linux and also have a Mac.

I'd try logging in via MSN messenger and seeing if you can get in that way and check your mail. I only ever use MSN to chat, its the only reason I got a Hotmail account years ago. You might also find your contacts that way also. Worth mentioning you can add MSN IM people to your Gmail chat set up, along with other chat set ups. Its nifty 8)

I've just stopped using my hotmail email address cause it was soooooooooo sloooooooooow all the time and took me ages just to open up an email :wall:

personally i dont save my password, thats a hackers haven for people who do.

second when logged in i dont save it on the hotmail in box neither thats just hackers haven too. only thing i can say is ring tehm up but think it might be yank number u be ringing

Try a system restore to before you did the update, that may work :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back